Best way to brew 40 cups?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
EddyQ

#1: Post by EddyQ »

After doing some research, seems a nice Fetco batch brewer is really what I need. But, my daughter wants to sell some roasted coffee at our local farmers market and around town. Having brewed coffee to sample and sell would help a lot. Right now, I think if we had a 40 cup brewer we would do fine. We could never raise enough profits to pay for the Fetco and airpots.

Short term, my thoughts was to borrow a urn from our local scout troop and give that a shot. Reading the thread below inspired me that perc coffee might be good enough. Using "100-cup" percolators. I'd hate our coffee to taste like "church" coffee, weak or lacking flavor.

My other thought would be a used BUNN APR-APS https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bunn-3 ... 00010.html. Anyone have experience with these? Can they make a half decent cup? Any adjustments on the thing?

Any advice is welcome.
LMWDP #671

foreseeablebananas

#2: Post by foreseeablebananas »

You really should just get a used Fetco 2131 and attach a Flojet to it for the best results.

However, you can get a half-decent cup out of the Bunn pourover if you (a) pre-weigh your water, (b) portion out your pulses evenly, (c) aim for an overall brew time appropriate for your batch size. Just make sure you test and taste.

EddyQ (original poster)

#3: Post by EddyQ (original poster) »

Thanks.

So the Fetco 2131 is their newest XTS system and also costs >$1K. Love to have one, but pricey and hard to find used. But older Fetco models such as CBS-51H seem readily available used and costs are significantly lower. But I am afraid I they wouldn't brew as nice. Likely only have temp/time controls. No pre-infusion or pulsing. Am I wrong??

By Flojet, I assume you mean on of these: https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/chri ... ce/bw-1000
And then I can use better water than tap. . . That would be nice!!
LMWDP #671

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

Why not do a pour over set up? Plastic V60s buy yourself a forte for home/commercial and set up either hot plates or gas stove in the back and go to town?

The pour over station would give you time to sell your product while they wait the two minutes to get a cup of coffee.

foreseeablebananas

#5: Post by foreseeablebananas »

EddyQ wrote:Thanks.

So the Fetco 2131 is their newest XTS system and also costs >$1K. Love to have one, but pricey and hard to find used. But older Fetco models such as CBS-51H seem readily available used and costs are significantly lower. But I am afraid I they wouldn't brew as nice. Likely only have temp/time controls. No pre-infusion or pulsing. Am I wrong??

By Flojet, I assume you mean on of these: https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/chri ... ce/bw-1000
And then I can use better water than tap. . . That would be nice!!
You should be able to find used 2131s much cheaper if you're near a major metropolitan area. Probably closer to $500-600. However, the older Fetco models are perfectly fine! I'm just not sure if there's a specific setting in them to run off of a Flojet. In fact, if you can get the really older models with the spray plate instead of the cascading spray dome, you can get much more even extractions than the newer models.

nickthorpie

#6: Post by nickthorpie »

Oops I thought I sent my post but apparently not.
Last year I set up th sadr same thing at my farmers mariet. 10x10 stall with 1 100V plug (not even 120).

I used my plastic V60, 2 Caraffes, so I always one on the go. I used a bonavita variable temp that I already had, and was always brewing with one, serving with the other. I often couldnt keep up, and ran out of coffee. Before I knew it.
I'm going ahead and dropping 600$ on a 10 cup technivorm moccomaster with two carafes. It might have saved me a few hundred if I had started with one in the first place, but hindsight is 20/20.
I'd love to share some of my lessons learned if that would help you get started!

EddyQ (original poster)

#7: Post by EddyQ (original poster) »

nickthorpie wrote:I'd love to share some of my lessons learned if that would help you get started!
Thanks Nick and I will keep you in mind once we get things together a bit more!
LMWDP #671