New toy! Luminaire Auto Shot Timers - Page 2

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Tonefish

#11: Post by Tonefish »

lever version? :D
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

skimmy

#12: Post by skimmy »

This looks pretty sweet, I was actually just starting to look into a simple timer. I think the price will keep me from pulling the trigger.

I realize a timer on a scale is also convenient, but I'm always interested in fewer buttons to press or other ways to simplify work flow.

Is there any other comparable add-on available elsewhere in the market? What's the next closest timer that requires the least amount of technical know-how for installation? I suppose if this is unique, then that is why the price can be where it is.

Advertisement
AssafL

#13: Post by AssafL »

HoldTheOnions wrote:Considering you can get a Brewista for the same price, it doesn't make any sense regardless of how you want look at it. Unless you prefer an ugly wire thingy hanging out of your machine that also can't weigh your shot. ;-)
I always thought that the ugly thingy hanging outside of your machine that also couldn't weight your shots - was that we call a grinder.

I like the timer - it looks cool - and a perfect GUI (no button - it supposedly just works). I could probably rig one up for less - but I probably wouldn't bother (if I needed a timer).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by RockyIII »

If I mount the sensor on my forearm, will it start the timer when using my Olympia Cremina? :wink:

Rocky

HoldTheOnions

#15: Post by HoldTheOnions »

AssafL wrote:I always thought that the ugly thingy hanging outside of your machine that also couldn't weight your shots - was that we call a grinder.
Actually, that's my girlfriend, but honest mistake. :shock:

coffeeengineer

#16: Post by coffeeengineer »

I'm getting this thing. Moving from ECM Synchronika to Linea Mini next week and I can't be without my shot timer! The auto-timer scales have never worked well for me. I have heard they work for others which leads me to speculate it might be my recipe that's throwing off the scales: 20g in, 9g out in 28-32s. I think the scales might have trouble with the very slow flow rate. This includes the Acaia Lunar.

Anyway, I'm glad someone took the time to make this product, even if it seems overpriced to some. Last year, I returned my brand new Rocket and drove from Seattle to Portland to buy the ECM because the Rocket didn't have a built in shot timer - in comparison, $89 doesn't seem so bad to me.

zfeldman

#17: Post by zfeldman »

Just got one delivered yesterday!

Kinda pricey, but the design is actually pretty slick. Install is super easy. Wire can be routed out in any direction from the timer and magnets on the bottom and the back means it can be mounted in lots of positions.

I don't know what to do with my hands now that I'm not trying to press a timer on and off while pulling a shot. :D Makes workflow very easy.
What pushed me over the edge to get one was some back of the envelope calculations...would I pay a nickle each shot to not have to futz with a timer? Decided, yeah I'd pay a nickle.

Volumetric dosing and the auto timer means much less clutter and measurement going on.

Advertisement
ecuew

#18: Post by ecuew »

zfeldman wrote:I don't know what to do with my hands now that I'm not trying to press a timer on and off while pulling a shot. :D Makes workflow very easy.
+1!!!

I have the timer on my Mini Vivaldi. It was easy to install and it works like a charm -- a nice upgrade.

coffeeengineer

#19: Post by coffeeengineer »

This timer has been working very well for me. While breaking in the Linea Mini, the timer got a bit too much steam and did some weird things right afterwards, but worked fine the next day and ever since.