Rwanda Musasa Ruli Dukunde Kawa

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

Grabbed a box of Crown Jewel from Royal Oakland today and will split among the MN Gopher Gulpers.
Will get some notes up once we get it in hand. Been loving the Kenyans this year and figured with proximity, maybe the Rwandans will shine as well.

Caramels, sweet, orange, bright, juicy.
Old variety Bourbons - Mbirizi and Jackson. Get on some Jim.
Dukunde Kawa Coop
16/17/18, big beans ... may be bit challenging on Gene. Patience getting heat to core.
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

Boldjava wrote: Old variety Bourbons - Mbirizi and Jackson. Get on some Jim.
"I'm on it, Bones. Thanks for the tip!"

- Captain Kirk
LMWDP #198

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

That was a good tip, a very good tip.

First roast I went to 23% post 1C development and pulled a wave of sweet fruited notes on the Pavoni today - post roast day 4. I hope every shot I pulll with it is like that one.

I just finished my second roast of it and dropped at 20% post 1C 1:39 to try to match more like what Jen mentioned on her Probat sample roaster.
LMWDP #198

Boldjava (original poster)

#4: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Good job. I have 3 boxes of different coffees to split tomorrow and will tackle the roasts this w/e. I have Gophers anxiously awaiting with baited palates. This one, another Royal Oak Kenya (can not get enuff of this year's Kenyas), and a Sweet Maria's Guat Huehue.
-----
LMWDP #339

GC7

#5: Post by GC7 »

Always love your suggestions Dave. Guatemala Huehuetenango Boqueroncito Lot 1 from SM looks very good. I assume this is the one you ordered and I just followed suit. Thanks!

#6: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

No, went with the La Libertad. We were after a balanced coffee good for espresso.
-----
LMWDP #339

GC7

#7: Post by GC7 »

Interesting- I still have the 2016 La Libertad from Bodhi Leaf. I have been drinking it the last couple of months and it is very good.

Boqueroncito Lot 1 notes looked great and Tom called it "a near-perfect espresso in my opinion". I'll check in with an opinion.

#8: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

GC7 wrote:...Boqueroncito Lot 1 notes looked great and Tom called it "a near-perfect espresso in my opinion". I'll check in with an opinion.
Do so. Your appearances are too rare.
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

I finished my first roast, really tasty for espresso; Roast #2 is less developed and did not work as well for me in the Pavoni. This lesser developed roast, I poured-over for the crowd at work today 60 grams to 1000 mL water 4:30 seconds in a large cone, so not ideal extraction. Still, can't go wrong with this one: sweet, fruity cup.
LMWDP #198