Aergrind: compact coffee grinder by Knock (Kickstarter) - Page 24

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
treyd

#231: Post by treyd »

max wrote:Yes, the shaft wobbles from lightly tugging it, just like on my feldgrind.
My Aergrind is the same. I disassembled it the other day and it's clear that the axle does not fit tightly enough within the bearings. The fact that some folks see the wobble and some don't shows MBK allowed loose tolerances for production of the relevant parts.

Also, because the bearings are so close together, the wobble gets noticeably worse as the inner burr moves out from the outer burr (and bearings), like for coarser grind.
Unfortunately for me, the play in the axle-bearing assembly of my unit is as bad as the youtube video I posted a link to. However, if this kind of play makes it through MBK's QA, I guess it's better going to me (someone who drinks mostly espresso) than someone who does pour-overs or french press.

rogersta

#232: Post by rogersta »

Does anyone have recommend brewing procedure/method for using this grinder with its intended partner, the aeropress, and the knock filter?

rogersta

#233: Post by rogersta »

Can anyone recommend a brewing procedure/method for using this grinder with its intended partner, the aeropress, and the knock filter? (Grind setting range, Bean weight, water volume, times etc...)

renatoa

#234: Post by renatoa »

Just look at WAC winning recipes to realize that Aeropress is a life to experiment...
http://www.worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/

I can only speak for me... the today coffee for example: 20 gram (play between 16 to 24 grams) for 220 ml coffee, grind on setting 2.4, if the zero is real zero !
Aeropress normal position, metalic filter - sometimes I add a paper filter too, when I have a coffee that make too much fines.
Add 1/3 water for infusion, wait 30 seconds agitating the whole Aeropress to create a vortex, add rest of watter, stir all directions, about 10 times, let drip until 2:15, about half brew should be done in this time, this tell me if the grind was ok and adjust grinder accordingly for next days.
Finally press to finish at 2:30
Enjoy ! :)

autoexec

#235: Post by autoexec »

renatoa wrote:Isn't any instructions for burrs realigning, as for feld ? :?

My zero point is right zero, as should be.

I don't base my judgment about burr rub on hearing, but on free rotation.
Keeping grinder horizontal, when handle drop freely from horizontal to vertical without any friction, under its own weight, I consider no rub.
No, and I thought you were talking about the aergrind with your setting and burr rub case as I was asking.
Thought so.. It can rotate freely but still rub to each other ever so slightly in some areas of the rotation and i still consider it as burr rub.

autoexec

#236: Post by autoexec »

max wrote:Yes, the shaft wobbles from lightly tugging it, just like on my feldgrind.
That sucks. Mine doesn't wobble no matter how hard you tug it.. Just like on my Comandante Mk3.. Snug and tight. I wonder if they use different bearings in their units or maybe some shafts are produced elsewhere.

autoexec

#237: Post by autoexec »

todoornot wrote:Hi everone, I 've owned the Aergrind for 10 days now and I am very pleased with it - but that should be no surprise as I am upgradinging from hario mini :) .

I have been wondering about cleaning, but the instructions provided by Knock, which are also found in this thread, do not make much sense to me.
I do also find their instructions on cleaning frustrating and not making much sense. From what I understand. They suggest to loosen the setting until the cone burr is somewhat accessible to a brush (only half part of it). Then you clean it with a brush. I find it silly. I just loosen the hex key under the cone burr (which removes the warranty) and remove it to clean it with clean brush. I use 3mm key but i believe 3.5mm is much more fit. Putting it back is very simple and nothing seems could go wrong.

bradenl123

#238: Post by bradenl123 »

Received my Aergrind today compliments of my wife... :) early gift exchange lol. Anyways, I can move the shaft so that the burr wobbles a wee-bit. I only drink espresso so I thought the truth is in the cup. I pulled a shot....actually, I choked my machine but the shot still was great. Way different taste than my Mahlgut. Obviously I need to pull a correct shot. My zero point is around 3-4. Burr locks around 2. Overall, for 112$ I can't complain. Does it annoy me that it doesn't lock at perfect zero. Eh a little but I can just make 3 my new zero. I would recommend it to friends and family for 112$ you can't beat it. I haven't tried it for any other brew method but I will have to another day.

Braden

bradenl123

#239: Post by bradenl123 »

^ I am new to espresso so honestly some of my observations could be incorrect. I gather information from this forum and sometimes what I think someone is explaining isn't what I am experiencing. So the terms wobble, burr lock, and zero could be slightly off from what others are thinking just throwing that out there.

rogersta

#240: Post by rogersta »

renatoa wrote:Just look at WAC winning recipes to realize that Aeropress is a life to experiment...
http://www.worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/

I can only speak for me... the today coffee for example: 20 gram (play between 16 to 24 grams) for 220 ml coffee, grind on setting 2.4, if the zero is real zero !
Aeropress normal position, metalic filter - sometimes I add a paper filter too, when I have a coffee that make too much fines.
Add 1/3 water for infusion, wait 30 seconds agitating the whole Aeropress to create a vortex, add rest of watter, stir all directions, about 10 times, let drip until 2:15, about half brew should be done in this time, this tell me if the grind was ok and adjust grinder accordingly for next days.
Finally press to finish at 2:30
Enjoy ! :)
When you reference 2.4 for grind setting is that two full turns from zero and then stopping at 4 as you start the third turn?