Baratza 270W - How To Identify Version?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Nunas »

I've just ordered a Baratza 270W, described by the vendor as being the "latest version". Question: how does one identify the grinder as being the latest version? To me this is important. When the 270W was first announced, I wanted to be the first kid on the block with one. Then came all the posts about wobbly bases, inconsistent measurement, poor adjustment of the burrs from the factory, early failures, et cetera. But, that all seems to have died down and by all reports Baratza has addressed the issues. When it arrives, I want to be sure it really is the 'latest version', or back it goes!
Thanks for any help.

itamar123

#2: Post by itamar123 »

When you plug the grinder it says the # of the version on the screen.
Mine it's 7.0.5, timer model. Motor didn't die yet. :lol:

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Thanks Itamar.

I just got the following response from Baratza:
The best way to ensure you've got a recent production unit with any updated parts in it, I would look for a serial number that starts with 117. It will be listed on a tag on the outside of the grinder box, or on the baseplate of the grinder itself.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

To put closure to this thread, I just got the grinder. Its SN does indeed start with 117, as Baratza indicated the latest models should. Upon powering up, it reports firmware version 8.0.6. Baratza neglected to tell me what the latest version should be when I wrote them (perhaps it's a secret :roll: ).

Still dialing it in. Starting with the suggested settings for espresso choked the machine...very fine, nearly Turkinsh. After three missed shots, I've moved it coarser by 6 macro settings and getting close. Tomorrow's the charm (I hope).

It's too soon to be critical, but, on the second dialing-in shot, it stopped significantly short of the correct measure...hopefully this is a one-off problem related to something I did wrong and not a fault. The first shot was right on the money, as was the third...well, one was 0.1 over and the other 0.1 under...close enough to perfect for me.

superpiki

#5: Post by superpiki »

Try to use grinder with decent amount of beans in the hopper. I've heard that 270W doesn't weight precisely with low beans level.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Alas, the new 270W I received already died. The collar that holds the fork was defective, resulting in poor weighing (described in another thread). Anyway, as for identifying the latest models, the replacement SN is 11701300, with firmware V. 8.0.8. Since it came straight from Baratza, I'm guessing it is the latest version. The only difference I can see is the collar in question is metal, not plastic with a brass insert. So far, the replacement grinder works flawlessly.