2107 holiday blend recommendations

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by RockyIII »

I am getting ready to order this year's holiday blend from Velton's Coffee and thought I would ask for other recommendations. Has anybody tried a new holiday blend that you especially like?

Rocky

RockyIII (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII (original poster) »

I tried this year's Velton's Coffee Holiday Blend for the first time this morning, six days post roast, 15 grams in, 30 grams out, on my Cremina at 203° F. I made straight shots and a cappuccino. It is delicious, especially in a cappuccino.

Here is the description from the website: "A 50% Rwanda, 50% Myanmar (natural) blend inspired by the Holidays! Syrupy chocolate, candied plum, blackcurrant, & sweet lime."

In addition, I detected a bit of a nutty flavor. Did I say delicious? I did!

Rocky

Supporter ♡

#3: Post by RockyIII (original poster) »

I ordered another bag of Velton's Coffee Holiday Blend and also some Iridescent from Counter Culture, their limited release blend for the holidays.

I'm still interested in hearing any other suggestions.

Rocky

TrlstanC

#4: Post by TrlstanC »

I ordered some Iridescent, it's been one of my favorite holiday blends in the past. Although I think that Veltons does a good job with their espresso blends, so I might try theirs out.

I've found that often the holiday blends tend to do better in milk, and that's enough of an excuse for me to try out some eggnog too with these blends, usually just as a macchiato or smallish cappuccino. A local barista gave me a tip, she said that they mix some milk with the eggnog, and that makes it much easier to steam (although it's still loud).

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by RockyIII (original poster) »

Tristan,

Thanks. I might give your eggnog suggestion a shot. Pun intended. :wink:

Rocky

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by RockyIII (original poster) »

The mail is crazy this time of year. The Iridescent that I ordered took five days to get here, and I live only about 20 miles from Counter Culture. At least now I don't need to let it rest much longer long before I try it.

Rocky