IMS Screen and Basket for La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dilin

#1: Post by dilin »

Anyone tried this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162684350346

Was looking around Sr. Ceccarelli for sale site and stumbled into it.

Maybe someone can try it and report whether it's worth it? :D

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I'm not such a Luddite that I'd turn my nose up at something newer and produced with tighter tolerances. I'm curious what if any effect this would have on a small lever though.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

I asked Francesco the same question after seeing the screen on a recent build of his.
He replied that he does not notice any discernible difference in usage or the cup.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Dev

#4: Post by Dev »

I bought both the IMS shower screen and basket for my LP-S.
I have installed the shower screen but haven't pulled a shot yet. I can tell right away the water dispersion pattern looks pretty.
I have used the IMS and VST stuff in the past on a pump machine with good results. I don't know what to expect but it's worth a try.

dilin (original poster)

#5: Post by dilin (original poster) »

Greatly anticipating your feedback Dev.

Dev

#6: Post by Dev »

I still need more time with the new basket and shower screen to make a determination because the LP is one of those machines as you all know that will give you an excellent to average shot depending on how the stars are aligned. I have been using the same beans that was roasted a week ago so I have been familiar with the flavor.

As far as pulling the shot goes my general technique is to grind coarse enough for the coffee to drip slightly right around the end of the pre-infusion before I pull the shot. With the IMS basket I noticed that it didn't drip on the same grind setting. It could be that the holes are a little tighter than the standard basket or maybe more uniform, I don't know. The IMS basket lip is a little thicker which tightens sooner when mounted on the head compared to the standard basket but not an issue just something to note.

The shot pulls evenly and looks unremarkable compared to standard basket.

The two shots that I have pulled were better than the standard LP baskets but not the way I would have imagined. I cant put my finger on it and although the flavor is the same there is a buttery like richness I have not tasted before. It's different and better but not overwhelming.
I do know for sure it is uncharacteristic of how my grinder generally tastes and not a fluke.

I will have to do back to back comparisons with the standard basket to make sure it's not placebo effect but so far so good.

redbone

#7: Post by redbone »

If anyone is interested there will be a one time small run of 250 piece on the IMS screens for pre-millinium L.P.E. the post 2K will be regular stock.

These are available via https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/en/f ... ition.html.
Located in Italy with decent shipping fees.

I have no affiliation with them accept that I have ordered parts previously from them.

I read this info on a La Pavoni F.B. group page.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Advertisement
Dev

#8: Post by Dev »

Just a little update. Sorry I haven't done any comparisons using the factory baskets but I just wanted to report something positive.
I have been using the same beans which are near the end of their life however the taste in the cup is more potent and dark which was lacking before.
The reason has to do with the basket because it allows me to grind coarser for the 14gm dose from my HG-1 changing the way the coffee is being extracted.
Since adjusting the grind coarser to it's optimal setting im pulling the best shots I never thought possible.
I don't want my findings to be disappointing to anyone who doesn't get the same result. I think it depends on your coffee, grinder and technique but it makes me wonder if IMS has improved on some of the LP shortcomings to yield a better more forgiving extraction.

One other thing to note. The shower screen seems less forceful in it's flow than the original.