Accepted temperature after grinding?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Fox910

#1: Post by Fox910 »

I would like to ask if i can freeze or cooling my roasted coffee beans before grind them in order to reduce the high heat in ground coffee .

I use 3 phase grinder ( 140mm ) disc . My grind setting is extra fine ( turkish coffee ) , the coffee temperature when just go out of machine reach (62 c° ) (143F ) especially when grind weight exceed 250 gram .

Is that temperature acceptable ?
Anyone have some issue or solutions , i dont know if i can depend on reducing motor speed ?

spearfish25

#2: Post by spearfish25 »

Youre trying to cool beans so the heating by the grinding process is less? I don't think freezing the beans will help much. Friction is friction and your burrs are already huge. take breaks and let it cool?

Advertisement
Fox910 (original poster)

#3: Post by Fox910 (original poster) »

spearfish25 wrote:Youre trying to cool beans so the heating by the grinding process is less? I don't think freezing the beans will help much. If this is the case, just get a better grinder for the amount you're grinding. Or take breaks and let it cool.

my issue is i want to reduce the heating produced in grinding process . My grinder its commercial grinder with high output power to use is in roastery shop . Its equivalent for ditting grinder.

I hope if anyone know whats the accepted temperature after grinding ?

renatoa

#4: Post by renatoa »

If one of the reasons we avoid the blade grinders is they heat grind, but much less, under 50 c°, then 62 is definitely too much, even if I can't give an exact answer to OP question.

As a reference, about 55 c° is the point where an average skin feel risk to burn, especially in hot water.
We don't want coffee so hot to not be able to touch, definitely...

Fox910 (original poster)

#5: Post by Fox910 (original poster) »

My grinder is flat burr disc with large diameter 140mm which is considered good size to avoid heating . But i think the high motor speed contribute in that heating. Now i start freezing my beans to see results . I will post the results if that way its effective .

mrjag

#6: Post by mrjag »

Frozen beans are more ridged and will fracture differently than room temperature beans, so you need to adjust your grind settings accordingly to compensate.