Sweet Maria's has the Aillio Bullet R1

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Tonefish

#1: Post by Tonefish »

Here it is: https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/ail ... r1-roaster or as I like to call it, el puerco negro (the black pig), o il maiale nero.

(PSA - no affiliation)
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Balthazar_B

#2: Post by Balthazar_B »

Thanks, Jim. Sounds like this has been anticipated for some time, along with at least one or two Chinese roasters SM is rumored to be importing/selling soon.
- John

LMWDP # 577

wanderlustjohn

#3: Post by wanderlustjohn »

you can also simply purchase direct off their website. there is an amazing facebook group of users too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1667530986833160/
I have OCD. Obsessive Coffee Disorder.

Tonefish (original poster)

#4: Post by Tonefish (original poster) replying to wanderlustjohn »

If you buy direct you pay them in Taiwanese dollars though. Be careful of the currency conversion fees your credit card may add, otherwise you may want to do a direct transfer from your bank account. I don't know if that would have fees or what currency conversion rate they would use. They are asking for 80,000NT$. If shipping is from Taiwan, that may be more expensive than Sweet Maria's too.

You probably know better though John, as you bought one. How was the conversion rate and shipping?
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

WanderLustJ, see you have a Bullet. I have a bud who is in the market for a roaster. Would love your review on the unit.

Saw it as a beta a couple of years ago in Portland. Again, a beta. Roast looked far, far from uniform, got to first cracck in 7:20 or something, and couldn't understand the smoke supppression for 1K. They had quite a crowd around them.

Thoughts from a user of final product?

(Edit: Found Bak Ta Lo's - Aillio Bullet R1 - Roasting Experience)
-----
LMWDP #339

btreichel

#6: Post by btreichel »

I've wondered about it since t seems to designed for pure conduction. The drum is induction heated, so all the roast energy has to come off of the drum.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by hankua »

If it's 80,000nt there's no earthy reason not to order it from SM, and they're offering a two year warranty. I got to spin the wheels on one this year, and think it's quite revolutionary. There are some drawbacks to the design, but it was never intended for commercial use anyway.

Admittedly not keeping up with the machine's discussion, it appear to be Bullet R1.1. Are there going to any major or minor refinements in the future? Backwards compatible? Does any of that really matter if it can easily roast 800-900g batches on a normal 110v circuit? Not really!

sosha
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by sosha »

I'm hoping Tom does a "demo day" at Sweet Maria's so that I can check it out.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Boldjava

#9: Post by Boldjava replying to sosha »

Please check out the evenness of a city plus roast if he does one.

Thx, Dave
-----
LMWDP #339

Gman

#10: Post by Gman »

I had emailed Aillio to see when they expected to have drivers for OS X (Mac). They are working on it and didn't have a definitive date. I was told you can roast w/o using the software but do need to have web access to download firmware/software updates. I don't want to buy a PC just to use the roaster so I'm still on the fence and will wait for more people to use it a bit first. I just wish someone would come up with a 1-2 lb. ver. of the orig. Hearthware fluid bed roaster. That was my all time fav. roaster and I had better results with that than anything else. I had many a "God shot" using that roaster with my Gaggia....none since. It sounds crazy but it's true. :P