Rancilio Silvia electrical wiring failure

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jacob Holm

#1: Post by jacob Holm »

hi coffee lovers.

i had my silvia in for a warranty fix, it needed a new heater.
they claim that i have steamed endlessly without water in the tank, and they practically wanted the price of a new machine for fixing it.
anyways, since i used to work as i electrician, kind of still do. i gave it a shot myself and put in a new heater, and i think it worked out fine.
but when starting it up again, something is wrong.

when pressing the power button, the pump turns on and all the lights (brew/hot water/steam) turns on. and i cant turn off the power button again, so the pump stays on until i pull out the power cord.
when its on and the pump is running, if i then push the brew button. water comes out the backflush valve and the brew light turns off....

my thoughts were that some of the electrical leads have been switched around, or maybe a relay has broken.
im pretty sure i didnt mix up the wires, cause i only disconnected the two on the heater itself, so...

does this make sense to anyone of my fellow coffee lovers out there??

hope someone can help

Best regards

Jacob

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

what is warranty, in the EU the manufacturer has to prove the customer wrong or repair/replace within 12 or 24 months on their cost. Now that you tinkered with it that chance is about gone, but you may just be facing an airlock as I ran into with my old gaggia classic years ago, but there will be Silvia owners who can say more about that... or at least I hope for your sake.
LMWDP #483

Jake_G
Team HB

#3: Post by Jake_G »

Jacob,
It's a long shot that you're still around, but on the off chance you are, does your Silvia have a small black control box next to the pump, as shown in this topic?

If so, your erratic control problems are likely tied to a faulty controller. It happens... If yours doesn't have a controller, the machine is dead simple and should not be too difficult to get back on its feet.

Have you had any luck in the last 5 months?

Cheers!

-Jake
LMWDP #704