Is Rancilio Rocky the weakest link? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Charlene

#11: Post by Charlene »

BaristaBob wrote:So is the Sette 270W the best of that bunch? Certainly the price is right at $500. It boost low retention, and uniform grind size. Conical burrs??
The Monolith...whole different class...flat burrs, and expensive! Is it worth $1500 more?
I see no one has mentioned the Lyn Weber EG-1 yet. It is more expensive than either the wonderful Monolith Flat or Conical and in my eyes, it's worth that extra money.

BaristaBob (original poster)

#12: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) »

Charlene...what makes the EG-1 better than the Monolith flat or conical? It is way more expensive. I get what Erik82 said about the Sette but going from 2K to 3.2K in price...?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Advertisement
DrRoadrash

#13: Post by DrRoadrash »

BaristaBob wrote:At one time I was leaning toward the Mazzer Mini. Recently I watched a review on grinds retention and it was terrible. Since I do one dose at a time, that's a deal breaker for me.
I use a super jolly. As long as you sweep out the chute with a small brush the retention per shot is about 0.1g, no big deal for me even for single dosing. I do not need to WDT with the doser so that makes up the time wasted sweeping out the chute.

ds

#14: Post by ds »

BaristaBob wrote:Charlene...what makes the EG-1 better than the Monolith flat or conical? It is way more expensive.

Nothing really...

Charlene

#15: Post by Charlene »

BaristaBob wrote:Charlene...what makes the EG-1 better than the Monolith flat or conical? It is way more expensive. I get what Erik82 said about the Sette but going from 2K to 3.2K in price...?
I did not imply which was 'better;' that's for the likes of Socratic Coffee.

What I said was, to put it in a different way, the extra cost is worth it to me.

BaristaBob (original poster)

#16: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) replying to Charlene »

Charlene, I totally understand what you are saying.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"