Mocca Master: Dull Flat and Sour - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
pawelmwo

#41: Post by pawelmwo »

namelessone wrote:That doesn't look like very even saturation to me.. There should be a pool of water above for even distribution but it looks like it's just flowing right through where it hits the bed?
I need to make another video with a finer grind size it does pool over the grinds. This was when I initially got it.

pawelmwo

#42: Post by pawelmwo »

Kaiai wrote:Have you tried to temp-probe your brew ? i am curious how long time it uses for brew / grounds to reach 90 degrees C. Im curious due to the added mass that has to be heated due to the big head
The water at the head seems 195-200f(90-93c) and about 185f(85c) in the coffee pool bed using the custom shower head. I am using a cheap kitchen probe thermometer. Need to buy something better. There does appear to be some heat loss. I think the other issue both the Moccamaster and this shower head suffer from are the pouring ends kind of get saturated with water and sometimes don't spray out of all holes or pool out of one hole. If you look at a traditional shower head there are tips that protrude where the holes are. Some folks have rubbed a little oil where the holes are to combat this.

I've gone back and forth between this and the standard shower head and at the same grind settings the Moccamaster head brew is always stronger with muted fruitiness. The cup is less balanced. The best results I get with this machine is when the water pools above the grounds. If it froths and balloons being center heavy the the resulting brew is not good.

If anyone is using a Baratza Encore I'm curious what your grind settings are. Hovering about a 16 right now which is about the consistency of granulated sugar. And with a paused bloom turning the machine off i'm about 3:30 - 4 minutes contact time for 500ml and 30g of coffee.

nlukas

#43: Post by nlukas »

I think the folks from Technivorm need to learn from your design. That is very close to what they should be using for more even extraction. I'm not sure how much drilling 9 holes in the current brew arm helped over the single hole? It still concentrates flow in the middle. I also think the flow rate at wide open is too fast. As I mentioned prior, I shut off flow from the brew basket "pre-infusion" if you want to call it that, wait until the water is above the grounds, then I only open the slider to the middle position to slow the water flow & keep it above the grounds during brewing. That keeps the water from channeling into the grounds. I see you have the KGBT model, so you can't control the flow rate on your basket, so that doesn't help you. I'm no engineer, I just experimented & it makes the most sense to me. I get good consistent results, That's all that matters.

pawelmwo

#44: Post by pawelmwo replying to nlukas »

Thanks but it is not my design. I have tried to leave it in comments on some influential youtube channels perhaps it will make it to Technivorm eventually. I actually paid a hefty price to get it shipped to the US. URL is below. I have tried that method by removing the carafe and inserting it after the water filled up to a certain level, unfortunately without being able to control the drip the coffee dumps fairly quickly into the carafe. The best coffee so far is when the water pools and drains slowly. Which I've managed to get with light roasts. With more oily beans it soaks up all the water and doesnt pool and I get unpleasant flavor. I will try grinding finer for those.

It's confusing to me that the SCAA would only rate this coffee brewer based on the temperature and contact time. Are there no other standards? I almost wish I went with the flat bottomed Bonavita because it had a flat basket and shower head at half the cost and judging from reviews gets a nice even extraction.

https://www.artisansmith.com.au/product ... occamaster

nlukas

#45: Post by nlukas »

Unfortunately on the KGBT model (auto drip pause) they eliminated the flow control lever. I'm actually selling my Technivorms, not that they don't make good coffee. I just didn't find them worth the extra cost, & effort to get a good cup of coffee from a drip machine. I went back to using my Bonavita BV1800. My wife actually prefers a glass carafe to be able to see if there's coffee left. It just works for us, consistently makes good coffee without extra effort, to me that's the point of using a drip coffee maker. When we do have the extra time we turn on espresso machine & enjoy a good latte.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#46: Post by Peppersass »

pawelmwo wrote:I almost wish I went with the flat bottomed Bonavita because it had a flat basket and shower head at half the cost and judging from reviews gets a nice even extraction.

https://www.artisansmith.com.au/product ... occamaster
Me too. The ArtisanSmith shower head looks very similar to the Bonavita, but it costs $89 shipped to the US. The latest Bonavita model, BV1901TS, is only $150 on Amazon. The older BV1900TS is only $135, so you get the coffee maker for just $46 more than the ArtisanSmith shower head.

I've had to replace the shower head and filter holder on my Mochamaster, which wasn't cheap, and I've often had to open it to free the little white plastic button that gets pushed into the body and won't pop out. I'm tempted...

namelessone

#47: Post by namelessone »

pawelmwo wrote:The water at the head seems 195-200f(90-93c) and about 185f(85c) in the coffee pool bed using the custom shower head. I am using a cheap kitchen probe thermometer. Need to buy something better. There does appear to be some heat loss. I think the other issue both the Moccamaster and this shower head suffer from are the pouring ends kind of get saturated with water and sometimes don't spray out of all holes or pool out of one hole. If you look at a traditional shower head there are tips that protrude where the holes are. Some folks have rubbed a little oil where the holes are to combat this.

I've gone back and forth between this and the standard shower head and at the same grind settings the Moccamaster head brew is always stronger with muted fruitiness. The cup is less balanced. The best results I get with this machine is when the water pools above the grounds. If it froths and balloons being center heavy the the resulting brew is not good.

If anyone is using a Baratza Encore I'm curious what your grind settings are. Hovering about a 16 right now which is about the consistency of granulated sugar. And with a paused bloom turning the machine off i'm about 3:30 - 4 minutes contact time for 500ml and 30g of coffee.
You should be using a coarser grind for the standard shower head, because with the custom shower head there will less agitation, as well lower temp in the slurry and water will flow quicker through. I measured my slurry temp to be 92C using the standard shower head.

I use a fairly coarse grind, visually looks more like french press, and have no trouble hitting 19-20% extraction with loads of fruity notes.

I think how the water is dispersed isn't a big issue with Melitta style cones such as Moccamaster, because the coffee drips very slowly through the small opening, and the incoming water never directly hits the coffee bed. During a brew cycle, there is always have a large buffer of water over the actual coffee bed.

I think in the newer models, you can remove the carafe for the first min of the brew to simulate immersion during the first part of the brew? I only open the bottom valve after 1min, when the basket is about half full with water.