Pourover - Angle and shape of the brew device - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
MikeTheBlueCow (original poster)

#11: Post by MikeTheBlueCow (original poster) »

drgary wrote:I just doing a few pourovers and am dialing in grind size for faster pour-through time while figuring out if I get too many fines with my Bunn LPG with Ditting burrs (I also use LIDOs 1 and 2), and my main focus recently has been on using 13 cup vintage Chemexes. Actually I've been more interested in the trying to date the Chemexes and their features than in perfectly dialing in the pour, since the pours have been very tasty but taking waaay long. Mouthfeel is subjective here, since I almost always use paper filters to filter out cafestol and kahweol to protect heart health. Not much time for experimentation since I have a very busy therapy practice. I will very rarely use a Driver metal filter if cupping a very high grade coffee or reviewing one. I pay a lot of attention to brewing at an appropriate temperature for any particular coffee.
The one study I've seen about cafestol/kahweol showed that "socks" (cloth filters) are just as good at filtering them as paper filters. Have you seen any studies that disagree?

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

I haven't. Good to know about the sock as an alternative, but I do like the convenience of a disposable filter paper. What I'm brewing with filters tastes very good for my purposes of dialing in a roast or the daily brew I may bring to a busy day at the office.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

MikeTheBlueCow (original poster)

#13: Post by MikeTheBlueCow (original poster) replying to drgary »

I agree, can't beat the convenience of paper. Certainly not trying to get you to switch (especially when dialing in)-I just personally find cloth filters to have a richer taste (and have gotten a bit passionate about it!), but mostly what got me into them was this experiment of trying to figure out how the shape/angle/attributes of the physical brew device affect the brew process/attributes/efficiency, and finding that once I went to the same filter material the brew device itself had zero effect and recipes across my devices equalized. Mostly that fascinated me, and the richer taste was a bonus, as well as finding that I get a little more range for the sweet-spot when it comes to finding the right grind size.

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Good conclusions, Mike. I've had coffee brewed in a sock a few times and did find it rich. You've also clarified that angle of the brew device doesn't seem to matter.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!