Fresh vs older Arabica

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Avaloche

#1: Post by Avaloche »

I've received arabica beans, that are supposed to roasted 1 and 2 days ago respectively.
It's just that they lack that beautiful aroma, that I'm used to; they produce a fair amount of crema, but that's it.
Could I be wrong -are there quality arabica beans, that just lack special aromas?
The beans are mat, not shining; perfectly roasted(medium).

Prescott CR

#2: Post by Prescott CR »

Keep in mind that all Arabica isn't created equal. There are plenty of commercial grade (vs Specialty grade) Arabica coffees out there. There's a family tree of 'Arabica' in the Book of Roast that's not as simple as we tend to use it. I mention this just in case you might think all Arabica is good. Also, OT, some roasters include Robusta in their espresso blends on purpose, apparently to enhance crema...

How do they taste? I'd wait 5-7 days before pulling shots with them but even so the real question is do you enjoy both coffees?

IMO freshly roasted coffee has a great odor to it, but after a few days it's even MORE interesting. At fist it's not as unique or strong. Another thing I've noticed is a sealed bag of coffee opened for the first time after roasting can actually take your breath away if you huff it. I'm guessing the CO2 makes me cough but there may be more going on there. Seal them up and wait. Maybe that will give you a blast of 'mmmmmm!'

Your beans looking matte and not shiny is a good sign they aren't roasted to the point that the 'oils' and such are driven out and staling. Keep in mind quite a lot of people LIKE the dark, greasy stuff. I've also seen roasts that LOOKED to me as underdeveloped and tasted great. Which reminds me to take the experience in the CUP and work backwards to what is 'good' and not pre-judge.

Sorry if I got preach-y there. My point is- let them sit for a few more days before coming to conclusions if you're pulling shots. The coffee seems to 'open up' and have a higher fidelity experience. My guess is that during the espresso shot pull the CO2 inside the coffee is liberated at an accelerated pace, interferes with the emulsion being created and robs it of some of it's potential. I also suspect you'll see monster crema that mostly disperses rapidly if that CO2 is interfering with the shot.

Other brewing methods can wait for a bloom to subside and de-gass that way. Espresso is different. Can you brew some up another way?

-Richard
-Richard

Avaloche (original poster)

#3: Post by Avaloche (original poster) »

Well,that's the thing - I'm used to all the rich aromas that emerge with the first opening(I'm sort of a fragrance expert) - my favourite single being Sidamo,but here all of that wow factor is missing;and also the crema is not that much at all.
The lack of aromas and not so rich crema led me to the conclusion that I received at least 7 days old coffee(to my estimation).
But I was really hoping that I was wrong,considering that the place I've ordered from is supposed to be the best in my country.
Up to this point I've ordered from a small boutique and their raw coffee seems to be the best,but their roasting is lacking -I feel like I'd get better results wit a pan.
Is it possible that they use low quality arabica for their blends(they claim that is 100% arabica)?
The single-Colombian Supremo-also didn't that supreme at all-quite the contrary.

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

Colombian Supremo is merely a size gradient for mid-level quality beans. Rather generic coffee, at best, when discussing
speciality coffees.
-----
LMWDP #339

Prescott CR

#5: Post by Prescott CR »

Well, I can't say for SURE what's going on with your beans but the way you describe your experience with them it doesn't sound like they are a couple days old (from roasting).

FWIW I'm in a town that is at 5000+' elevation. That's 1524m elevation. Maybe that affects my crema experiences?

Were they in a sealed bag? That would add to the WOW factor of opening them up.

I'll say that whatever the age, judge the coffee in the cup until you use up, then decide if they're worth trying again. That is, you already have the beans so why not give them a chance?

http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/screen.htm

That's a good resource to decipher a lot of jargon around green coffee. Click on the 'size and classification' link.

I'll agree that Colombia Supremo is nearly a bean size classification (the idea being consistency in size means consistency in the resulting roast). I'm not aware of that ONLY being a descriptor in mid-level quality beans.

-Richard
-Richard