Re-chroming E61 grouphead

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Sander1981

#1: Post by Sander1981 »

Dear all,

As a cherry on the cake after restoring my '66 Faema E61 I'd like to rechrome the group head. It had been severely damaged by the previous owner so I carefully sanded the group head with sanding paper. It is still full of dents, but hey, it's over 50 years old.

I called the only company in the vicinity that can do the job and they told me that they submerge the whole group head and hence, chrome plating will enter the internals. My question is: is this OK to happen? They said they couldn't prevent that by covering the holes for instance. Should I do anything to prevent the chrome from entering the internals of the group head or is it all just fine and OK?

Thank you very much in advance!
Sander

boost

#2: Post by boost »

Yeah I'd like to know about this as well. I want to rechrome my lever group head and the chrome shop I talked to does the same thing.
The shop also said that they don't do food safe coating as well.

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

It should be possible to mask off the parts you don't want chromed. If nothing else, rubber stoppers in all the holes should do it. I've certainly had parts masked before chroming in the past.

Ira

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Contact independent Harley Davidson (chopper) shops in your country and find out where they have their chrome done.
Try ALV Custom Cycle in Sluis (01178-2253) if they are still there. I dropped by there back in 1987.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

wsfarrell

#5: Post by wsfarrell »

I just had a Cremina grouphead rechromed and all the internals were untouched. Not sure how they did it, but it can be done. The place I used is (primarily) an automotive plating outfit.

zeb

#6: Post by zeb »

I think they did nothing, nickel can sometimes plate a little inside the bigger cavity. But chrome bath is only a few seconds it will never plate, even more where there is not nickel. Nickel seems not to be hazardous as there is a lot inside our portafilters.

boost

#7: Post by boost »

I took my Conti group to the plating guy today and he said that I would have to cover the piston holes myself if I don't want to have chrome inside the group.
He mentioned that he can also do bright nickel plating that has duller and softer finish for a bit more money. He will then polish the group to mirror finish. It will be inside the group but at least it would be nickel not chrome. Does anyone have experience with this?
And oh the turnaround is about 2-3 weeks too, maybe I could just send it to Paul Pratt and have his plating guy does it in less time :shock:

Sander1981 (original poster)

#8: Post by Sander1981 (original poster) »

ira wrote:It should be possible to mask off the parts you don't want chromed. If nothing else, rubber stoppers in all the holes should do it. I've certainly had parts masked before chroming in the past.

Ira
Thanks, I'll sure try using rubber stoppers. Then I only need a solution for the bottom part, where the portafilter goes in.

Sander1981 (original poster)

#9: Post by Sander1981 (original poster) »

zeb wrote:I think they did nothing, nickel can sometimes plate a little inside the bigger cavity. But chrome bath is only a few seconds it will never plate, even more where there is not nickel. Nickel seems not to be hazardous as there is a lot inside our portafilters.
I'm afraid I don't get you, zeb. Do you mean that it is unlikely for the chrome to attach to the inner part? Is that because they do not treat it with anything before, or because the surface is relatively rough?

Paul_Pratt

#10: Post by Paul_Pratt replying to Sander1981 »

The plating will not reach inside - worse case is you will get a bit on the very edge that can easily be removed afterwards. There are areas that do not get plated, I think they refer to them as shadows.

Pascal was referring to the plating process. It should be copper then nickel and then a very very quick dip in chrome.