Baratza Sette 30 AP - entry level home espresso grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Vindibona1

#11: Post by Vindibona1 »

So what will the Etzinger Etzmax cost?

barneyfife

#12: Post by barneyfife »

I'm interested in the Baratza. Unfortunately can't get past the idea that it will fritz out a week past the warranty date.

sweaner

#13: Post by sweaner replying to barneyfife »

Baratza is known for great customer support. If this were to happen they would take care of you.
Scott
LMWDP #248

chambolle

#14: Post by chambolle »

If you look at the Baratza website, it seems the microadjustment assembly fitted to the 270/270W can be purchased separately and is a simple screw-on addition to the Sette 30. Baratza lists it at $90; I see the assembly offered through a Canadian retailer for about $60 including shipping. At that, you've got the 270 without the additional (and relatively unnecessary, not to mention finicky and trouble prone) buzzers and bells for programming, weighing etc. And for less money.

In short, for about $300, you can have a microadjustable Sette 30. And at that, assuming the motor has a reasonable lifespan, you may have a very viable option for a no-frills, seat of the pants espresso grinder. For $26, you can turn it into a grinder for pour-over and french press, with a 30 to 45 second swap between the AP and BG burr sets.

I've got a Sette 30 now, used as my decaf only second grinder. We'll see how it goes.

BTW, Baratza warns that the motor will overheat and lifespan will be short if you do not wait 45 to 60 seconds between each use. While that seems a significant limitation, for casual home use it's not unacceptable. And given that the grind output is so fluffy you really need to grind into the bin and spoon grounds into your portafilter (otherwise your 20 gm grind will quickly overflow the 22 gm portafilter basket) you will have a bit of time on your hands between shots while you spoon.

The plus: looks cool, innovative design, fast (about 20 gms in about 6.5 seconds) very fluffy, reasonably consistent and uniform grinds with virtually no grounds retained in the grinder; easy hopper swapping, value priced.

The minus: LOUD (probably inherent in the design, given placement of drive motor and burrs); possible motor vulnerability to overheating damage, resultant duty cycle limitations and open question re longevity.

If it manages to stay in service, seems like a good option for a light duty grinder.