Rancilio Silvia: Plumbing it in -- Why or why not?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
sominus

#1: Post by sominus »

New user to HB here ... I used to use coffee geek quite often but its been years since I've posted in a coffee forum. Most of my recent searches have been here, so here I am! :-)

I am about to do some maintenance/upgrading for my Silvia. The question arose regarding just plumbing it into my sink's water feed. It would be trivial to run the line, but the question is, should I?

I know some people have put in a float valve, etc. I'm considering just connecting the line from my sink into the feed line for the silvia.

Yes? No?

Enquiring minds want to know...

-Michael Dow
Houston, TX

Headala

#2: Post by Headala »

You have the return from the OPV and (if it has one) the deaerator to worry about if you connect directly. If you want to plumb in that way then you will divert those to the front and be emptying the drip tray a lot or figure out how to plumb the drip tray to a drain. It has been done but in the end is it worth all the hassle to avoid pouring water in the back? Also don't forget you also might need a pressure reducer.

I love the Silvia for what it is but if you are the type who wants it plumbed in then maybe save that money for an upgrade.