Should I keep waiting for Cafelat Robot or buy La Pavoni Europiccola now? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#11: Post by mivanitsky »

dominico wrote:Yes, I have made a few videos using Europiccolas with Pharos and thermometry, if I am thinking about the same one you are referring to I think I made it 3 or 4 years ago. I hope you enjoyed it, I will have to go back and rewatch some of those to see how cringe-worthy they are :-) One thing I will say is that a new Europiccola will not run as hot as that one, it was a premillenium group with an aggressive PSTAT.

The Streitman is pretty much that; about as close as you could get to a modern Caravel I suppose, very pricey though.
... and totally worth it! (though perhaps not within any sensible university student's budget)

schneckerl

#12: Post by schneckerl »

manuale wrote:Here's a list of other alternatives I have looked at but discarded: the Bacchi, the Flair and the Rossa HC.
May I ask why you discarded the Flair?

I've been on the fence for a non-electric manual lever ever since i saw the first vids of the robot. But as the Inventor (who seems to have quite the name in the community) has missed more than one deadline by several months, having encountered some production issues, I've grown impatient and am almost convinced I'll get a Flair. From what I read and saw, its results seem to be quite impressive. I'd aim for a Rossa, but with shipping, customs and taxes, that would be quite a stretch, given that the Flair seems to yield good and replicable results (it's also reduced in price now)

Simon345

#13: Post by Simon345 »

Missed deadlines? What? Seems ummmmm perhaps a bit harsh/innacurate?

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Small manufacturers with a high quality standard must rely on others to tool up and build to spec. Paul Pratt is well respected in this community because he starts as an expert restorer of golden era espresso machines. Those inspire some of his product designs. I am among others who trust that he won't take shortcuts or make quality compromises in bringing the Robot to market. What he's making is for a small, specialized market, so fabricators probably don't give shops like his the priority of mass production vendors like Breville or appliance manufacturers. Things get delayed in what's probably a cat-herding effort. I'm content to wait until he says it's ready.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

schneckerl

#15: Post by schneckerl »

Simon345 wrote:Missed deadlines? What? Seems ummmmm perhaps a bit harsh/innacurate?
I'm referring to his robot thread, where PP announced certain things supposedly happening at certain dates, without those happening and respective anwers/updates being given at a much later time, if at all. ("further details later this week and maybe some good news of early bird prices" in July, "I am expecting an updated sample from the tooling next week. As soon as that is all ok then we will have firm details for everyone." (update almost 2 months later))

As of now, even though some people were regularly asking about some kind of roadmap, there was no answer, except for the post end of september about the production/material issues.
drgary wrote:Small manufacturers with a high quality standard must rely on others to tool up and build to spec. Paul Pratt is well respected in this community because he starts as an expert restorer of golden era espresso machines. Those inspire some of his product designs. I am among others who trust that he won't take shortcuts or make quality compromises in bringing the Robot to market. What he's making is for a small, specialized market, so fabricators probably don't give shops like his the priority of mass production vendors like Breville or appliance manufacturers. Things get delayed in what's probably a cat-herding effort. I'm content to wait until he says it's ready.
I wasn't in any way trying to calumniate PP or the proven quality of his work, it was a tiny bit of criticism as to the way certain things were being communicated (or not). I'd really love to see the robot happening. At the same time I - as an eager potential customer - would want to know when i can count on this product happening, after those delays, specially as I've been postponing the decision of buying another non-electric lever for 3 months now because of the very optimistic outlook communicated at the beginning.

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

Today Paul wrote in another thread that he's still "going back and forth" with his "stainless steel caster." If you're very eager to have a machine like that, you can usually find a Faemina Baby or Europiccola up for sale. The Robot can be a later purchase, if at all. The Baby is a collectible classic as are the vintage Europiccolas.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

schneckerl

#17: Post by schneckerl »

Thank you drgary, i now saw the post. It would be nice if those updates would happen in the relevant threads (there are/were 2 about the Robot).

The emphasis was on non-electric (which eliminates the LP). I will think about the Faemina Baby (not a big fan of using collectibles for everyday use :D ); for now i ordered the Flair, but will for sure keep track of the Robot!