Problems with used Breville Smart Grinder Pro - Page 5

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bongag (original poster)

#41: Post by bongag (original poster) »

HH wrote:I'm afraid I have no idea. I suggest you speak to Breville directly and see whether they can arrange for it to be replaced. Have you tried contacting eBay? Even though it was several months ago this is likely to still be your best bet. Can I ask why didn't you mention the problem to eBay/PayPal as soon as you discovered the issue three months ago, or has it only recently occurred?
I bought it in ebay usa. Shipped to US address. Shipping to Philippines takes 2 months and around weeks waiting time in Usa so that the shipping box will be filled (from relative) . So theres no way in returning back.it came defectivd

HH

#42: Post by HH replying to bongag »

I think you might be stuck then I'm afraid. What did eBay suggest when you explained your situation to them? Were they helpful?

Bret

#43: Post by Bret »

bongag wrote:Ok , heres an update...

Ordered an upper burr through our local dealer here in the Philippines.

Grinds comes out now but i still have problem.
Extraction seems fast even at number 1 grind settings.

So i also need to replace lower burr.

Can i just add aluminum foil washer to the lower burr? Or adjusting the upper burr to finer?

Would it help? I got same extraction time from setting 1 to 15 seems its not fine enough.

Should i adjust the upper burr? Or it wouldnt help since the lower burrs are worn out too.
Maybe the previous owner is grinding light roasted hard beans
The upper burr adjustment that was referenced in the manual link above lets you add additional fine grind range, so setting that to maximum fine and then seeing where you have to be on the front panel setting after that is the next step. You shouldn't need more shimming than that, but this grinder is full of mystery. Also be sure your dose and tamp in the portafilter is consistent so the only variable is the grind setting. And when you say too fast, what is that exactly: how many grams out in how many seconds (and how many grams in your portafilter dose)?

bongag (original poster)

#44: Post by bongag (original poster) replying to Bret »

Around 17 grams in portafilter.
Gaggia classic extraction of 2 oz is only around 15 seconds or less. At setting number 1 on grinder.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by JohnB. »

I don't know about the Pro but the original Smart Grinder used shims under the bottom burr which could be changed to get to a finer grind range. At one time Breville offered a shim kit through it's dealers or direct.
LMWDP 267

bongag (original poster)

#46: Post by bongag (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

Can someone confirm if
Shims can be used in breville smart grider pro?

I actually managed to adjust the upper burr to
The minimum setting 1.

I pull my shots in settings 6 in side in stepped adjustment at the side. I was able to get a perfect shot at this setting and i have very little room for a finer grind...

HH

#47: Post by HH replying to bongag »

I'm not sure whether shims can be used, but the idea of the adjustable upper burr is that it replaces the need for shims. Why have you set the upper burr to 1? Do you mean that you did it by mistake and that's why the grind setting was too fine?

bongag (original poster)

#48: Post by bongag (original poster) replying to HH »

I set it to 1 because i cannot achieve finer setings at default 6.

I only replace the upper burr with new one but not the lower burr because its not available.
Maybe this is the reason..

HH

#49: Post by HH »

You mentioned in an earlier post that you have requested a refund but the item needs to be returned in order to do so. I would say this is probably your best bet unless you can get someone local to try and repair it or diagnose what it happening.

Bret

#50: Post by Bret »

bongag wrote:Around 17 grams in portafilter.
Gaggia classic extraction of 2 oz is only around 15 seconds or less. At setting number 1 on grinder.
Just for fun, try a 20 gram dose at setting 2 or 3. I have a bag of beans that require a fine grind, but 16g is too low a dose in the pf, and the shots pull really fast. You might be underdosing the portafilter with that weight and such a fine grind. So keep the grind setting and try 20g (then maybe 18 and 22) to find a sweet spot. If that works, then you can probably start increasing your grind size and lowering the weight (in stages).

Is your basket a straight (vertical) wall basket, or does it have a curve or angle inward to it. With a low/fine grind dose, your tamper may bind on the sidewalls and prevent a good tamp, which could also explain the fast gushing shots.