Coffee loader - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
csanadymiklos (original poster)

#11: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

Here we go, I tried to use a lid for shaking.
As you see, the puck got already tamped from putting on the lid, and the shaking did not make it better.
For the shaking, it seems to be good to have plenty of space above the puck...

JR_Germantown

#12: Post by JR_Germantown »

Too, too, too much shaking. Based on my observations, once the granules find their places against each other (that is, they settle), more shaking just creates fissures that will quickly cause channeling. Whatever distribution you need to do, it should be done with as little shaking as possible, IMHO. I'll see if I can find a link to Matt Perger's recommendations. I've found his method to be way less complicated, very consistent, and quick (although I use a short OE dosing funnel to eliminate mess).

Edit: HERE

Jack

#13: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) replying to JR_Germantown »

Yes, yes, I know this article. :) But as I don't use a funnel, only this loader, there would be a problem with the mess you also mentioned.
The shaking (with the loader) helps me in the rough distribution (if needed), and I always end the routine with some fine tapping.
Anyway, I guess we agree, that the lid doesn't make much sense like this. :D

Jared

#14: Post by Jared »

I believe the distribution is much better with just dumping it in. The first video cuts from when you dumped to when you start tapping, but the distribution actually looked pretty good even prior to tapping. It seems that shaking it creates a gap around the edge of the basket which is bad.

Mochamaker

#15: Post by Mochamaker »

Great design. Simple, effective, and repeatable. I really like it. With your lid project... would a domed lid work? No initial tamping, and give the ground somewhere to go when the shake happens? And I wonder if anyone has ever compared shaking to RTD? Or any other dispersion method? Im sure someone has. hahaha

#16: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

Jared wrote:I believe the distribution is much better with just dumping it in. The first video cuts from when you dumped to when you start tapping, but the distribution actually looked pretty good even prior to tapping. It seems that shaking it creates a gap around the edge of the basket which is bad.
The gap around the basket comes from the little edge on the bottom of The Loader, it is needed to keep the device in place. The first ones I built, I tried to do without it, but i was not stable enough, and the risk of grounds falling out was bigger. This version is quite stable, and even when shaking, the grounds stay in place.

#17: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

Mochamaker wrote:Great design. Simple, effective, and repeatable. I really like it. With your lid project... would a domed lid work? No initial tamping, and give the ground somewhere to go when the shake happens? And I wonder if anyone has ever compared shaking to RTD? Or any other dispersion method? Im sure someone has. hahaha
:D I thought about building a dome, but I came to the conclusion, that functionally, it doesn't add much, compared to the loader. Maybe if I develop this to a product, I will do a dome lid for shaking, just to have a cheaper version :)

bakafish

#18: Post by bakafish »

Mochamaker wrote:Great design. Simple, effective, and repeatable. I really like it. With your lid project... would a domed lid work? No initial tamping, and give the ground somewhere to go when the shake happens? And I wonder if anyone has ever compared shaking to RTD? Or any other dispersion method? Im sure someone has. hahaha
dome lid +1

#19: Post by csanadymiklos (original poster) »

Alright, dear friends, there you go. :)

Actually, the grinds were sitting fine in the basket for the first time, so the shaking was really unnecessary this time, but of course one has to make a sacrifice, to demo The Dome. :)

I only have a gut feeling, that with practice, the shaking can do a good job in the distribution. Nevertheless, it can be done with the loader, too.

The little distance between the perimeter of the filter, and the grounds is necessary, to fully close the filter and have a safe position. It goes away by a light hit, I didn't find it disturbing.

bakafish

#20: Post by bakafish »

csanadymiklos wrote: Alright, dear friends, there you go. :)
How about a dome lid for the loader? Shaking the basket will sieve out some fines. Some of them stick on the outside of the basket and fall into the cup with espresso. I'd like to shake the loader.