Scott Rao V60 blog

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ilker

#1: Post by ilker »

https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2017/9/14/v60-video

It helped me a lot. I suggest you to continue to read feedbacks and comments down there.

I almost stop espresso now.

RyanJE

#2: Post by RyanJE »

Been using this method since he posted it on his blog late last year. I definitely like how repeatable it is.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Advertisement
Fluffeepuff

#3: Post by Fluffeepuff »

This actually helped me a lot. I use a kalita wave (which he doesn't like as much as the V-60) but most of the same principles have done wonders on my consistency.

Chuckster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Chuckster »

Thanks for sharing. This really improved the taste in the cup. I still get a slight mound with a low spot around the edge of the bed. I'll try pouring more in the center to even things out.
Happy Saturday all!
Chuck

Schwa

#5: Post by Schwa »

My grinder arrived earlier this week (Lido 2), and as a first time V60 user my cups have been hit or miss all week. Today I tried this method for about 6 pour overs and this has given me my most consistent cups yet. They were tasty too but I'm sure there's room to improve. I'm going to adjust my grind one notch finer tomorrow morning and see how that works out. Unfortunately there's only so much testing a guy can do in a day, lol. :shock:

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

Everything will get better ones the burrs are broken in. You cannot say anything conclusive about consistency the first 10-50lbs with new burrs depending on size and coatings. My Lido 2 (after 15lbs of beans) gave me very consistent results with V60 time after time after time.

Schwa

#7: Post by Schwa »

erik82 wrote:Everything will get better ones the burrs are broken in.
Yes, that does seem to be the consensus. We only make about 6 cups per day so 10-50lbs is going to take a minute. Anyone have a spare sack of old beans they'd like to donate to the cause? :wink:

Really though, I'm already so happy with the Lido 2 I'm sure I'll enjoy every pound I grind. I was going to get the Kinu M47 but got tired of waiting for them to get their web store up and running and they weren't taking orders through direct contact anymore.

And to keep this on topic, today's V60 pours were good but I I can still benefit from working on consistency. 2 pours had a some grinds left on the side wall, 1 pour had a ton of grinds on the side wall, and 3 looked beautiful.

Advertisement
layawaytay

#8: Post by layawaytay »

erik82 wrote:Everything will get better ones the burrs are broken in. You cannot say anything conclusive about consistency the first 10-50lbs with new burrs depending on size and coatings. My Lido 2 (after 15lbs of beans) gave me very consistent results with V60 time after time after time.
What setting do you find yourself grinding at for V60 with the Lido?

Schwa

#9: Post by Schwa replying to layawaytay »

I'd be curious to know as well. I'm still dialing in my grind, but for the past two mornings I've left it at about 8.5 turns from zero. I'm defining "zero" as my Lido's maximum lock down point, which is about 1 bar over towards fine from where the black bar would line up to the guide. If I'm counting from the where the black bar lines up I guess you could call it 7.5.

I'm using 22g of beans and ~360g of water between 200 and 205 degrees. Total times are taking between 2 and 2.5 min including the 30 sec pre-infusion. Really enjoying these cups, but I don't know enough to know what I might be missing.

erik82

#10: Post by erik82 »

I used to be at around 1 complete turn and 3 bars from zero (complete lock) but I had a Lido 2 with the Italmill burrs.