Quality Thermocouples - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Headala

#11: Post by Headala »

I would also guess that it depends on the type. Some types (RTD?) require higher manufacturing tolerances than others.

I ordered some generic K thermocouples from a Chinese seller on Amazon because I could get it quickly with Prime shipping. It just flat out wouldn't work unless you held the cable right.

I've ordered others from Auber and Omega and have good luck with those.

blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to Headala »

Could you share which Auber and Omega probes you bought?

Felice

#13: Post by Felice »

I replaced a really slow 5mm BT with a 2mm on my North 066.

https://millcityroasters.com/shop/roast ... n-fitting/

It allows me to capture turning point more quickly, which illustrates the uselessness of turning point as an absolute value, no doubt it has value as a relative value. I suspect if I had to do it over again I would not replace my thermocouple, it's hard at first to roast coffee rather than artisan! It took numerous instances of pounding my head on the wall to get that.

blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to Felice »

Many thanks Felice, I appreciate your direct answer. Do you happen to know the cable lengths, 3ft or 6ft?

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Moxiechef »

Here's two orders from Omega. One is an 8" probe for my exhaust temp and the other is a 6" dual probe for my phidget and the overtemp safety on my roaster.

Both are 1/8".

Headala

#16: Post by Headala »

From Auber:
1 x K Type thermocouple 6" probe w/ pointed tip for BBQ smoker (TC-K8) =
$17.50
1 x K type thermocouple 4" probe, for Smoker, Oven (TC-K3MM) = $10.95
Connector Option mini connector
1 x K Type Thermocouple for BBQ Smoker Oven (TC-K6H2) = $13.01
Accessory Probe Clip

The first one and one of the other two are for my smoker. The other two are approximately the same in size but I didn't know how I would want the probe-wire transition on my group head. Still undecided.

From Omega I ordered 2x HTTC18-K-18G-1.75-GG for my roaster (Hottop with TC4C) and those work like a champ. No noise and very responsive.

trumz

#17: Post by trumz »

Does Omega also have the compression fittings? I'm about to drill and tap my roaster but unsure of the size of compression fitting required.

Eidt: found them...

Headala

#18: Post by Headala »

trumz wrote:Does Omega also have the compression fittings? I'm about to drill and tap my roaster but unsure of the size of compression fitting required.
I wanted to isolate the TCs from the body so I used the lamp parts tutorial and it has worked really well

Felice

#19: Post by Felice »

6"