Izzo ALex Duetto pressure problem -intermittent

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jaap-98

#1: Post by Jaap-98 »

I have had an issue on my Duetto II recently:

Sometimes I only get minimal pressure (around 2-4 bar, irrespective of adjustment) and sometimes the pump does not stop when lowering the lever. (I have to switch off to reset)

I have dismantled the machine, removed both tanks and most of the pipework and descaled this weekend. The was plenty of dirt.

The head was not getting very hot recently but the cleaning has solved that and all is well.

After cleaning, the first few shots were fine and the pressure was good. (I have replaced the pump last year and it functions fine.

As the brew boiler circuit seems quite simple (but clearly not a s simple as I thought), I am now at a complete loss.

My coffee (except for the 2 I pulls this weekend after the overhaul) has resembled drip coffee (which I hate).

now pulling my hair out.

Would anyone have an idea what might be up?

I live in Luxembourg and finding someone who has a clue and is willing to service is pretty impossible.

Many thanks

Jaap

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC »

It sound like it could be an issue with the autofill. This could be a faulty water level probe/wiring, or a faulty gicar box. One of the ways to be sure, is to switch off the steam boiler and leave it off, just use it without the steam boiler for a few weeks. Next time the pump runs check whether water is being drawn from the internal tank. If it is, open the steam wand and wait a minute or so to see if water starts coming out. Also check that the water isn't coming out the bottom of the machine from the Vacuum breaker. You're trying to see if the boiler is overfilling.

The drop in pressure during the shot is usually caused by the autofill solenoid opening.

Jaap-98 (original poster)

#3: Post by Jaap-98 (original poster) »

I now have the machine at a repair place. (I think the only one in Lux) but unfortunately he takes every opportunity to tell me this is Chinese built rubbish. (he sells Faema).
Anyway, I have been happy with it and IF I was to get a new one I would still want to get a similar dual boiler system.
As far as I can tell most components are from the same suppliers that the competition uses.

Now he tells me he thinks it is the pump (which I replaced last year) and tells me it is old stock from 2004.

The rotary pump has a lable CA104Z with: D.M. 174/2004. Looking online I see several pictures of this pump with same numbering so not really convinced whether he is right.

I will wait for his quote and see how we go.

I am tempted to buy a new machine (but still get this one working and sell on)
What I liked about the Duetto is that the whole frame is stainless, not the case with some others. However having a manufacturer that is widely sold would make it easier for me to get repaired if I cannot do it myself.
I would also go for one with boilers that can be easily opened and flushed (like the new duetto or the ECM and Profitec. Stainless boiler may also be worth considering if I have to do this.

Annoying that such a seemingly simple system is fooling me.(and the technician). I will take your advice when I get the machine back and see how to proceed. Not coping well being without a machine!