Old Brown Java - Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
BlueBuddha

#1: Post by BlueBuddha »

I recently placed an order for some green coffee beans and my selection did not quite meet the minimum order quantity so I added a bag of 'Old Brown Java' to try. I roasted some a couple of nights ago straight after I'd roasted some dry processed Yirgacheffe.

I made an espresso with the Yirgacheffe this morning and pulled a pretty decent shot from my ROK with an extraction time of around 25 seconds. I then tried the Old Brown Java (same grind setting, same tamp, etc). The water ran straight through the coffee!

Is this normal for Old Brown Java?

I've read that Old Brown Java is a bit of a favourite to add to blends? If it requires a much finer grind, does this cause any issues reaching a decent extraction time?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Sumatras are soft beans that do not create fines; so you need to grind them finer or dose them higher. Old brown (or any aged Indo or monsooned Malabar) is especially soft and needs to be ground extra fine.

You are probably best off, both for for grinding and taste, to keep the amount of aged beans at around 25% to 33%.

Have fun.
Jim Schulman