Uneven Extractions Post-VST - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by samuellaw178 »

Just curious, are you single dosing or using a loaded hopper?

Bret

#22: Post by Bret »

How do things work with your stock basket(s)?

I've found no compelling value from the VSTs. Short of being very consistent for competitions, they seem to add no value. I have to wonder why the basket is the level-playing field common denominator for competitions anyway. Maybe it is because they are intentionally far enough away from ideal to make a consistent difference in difficulty and finicky-ness. I've only kept them on hand because I recognize the possibility that someday I'll stumble across a situation where they are useful. Otherwise I see no reason to fight with them.

wai2cool4u

#23: Post by wai2cool4u »

achosid wrote:The worst has happened: it was distribution. I was really hoping that the 270W was a WDT-less grinder for me, as it appears to be for many. Not the case.

I dosed into the cup that came with the Sette, shook it while I waited for the flush to finish, and worked it with a toothpick once it was in the basket. I meant to take a picture, but I was too busy marveling at the difference.

So today's PSA: the Sette doesn't appear to be a perfect distributor to the point that no WDT is required, at least for me.

On a related note: what's everyone's favorite permanent non-yogurt based distribution funnel? I had the OE one before, but didn't like how the funnel went inside the basket, it had me worried about channeling on the exterior of the puck. The Decent Espresso one looks nice, but a bit pricey.
I've seen people buying 58mm camera lens hoods off amazon to use as dosing funnels. Here's one that costs 5.50 with free prime shipping that looks like a good alternative to the Decent Espresso (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GFY786/)

achosid (original poster)

#24: Post by achosid (original poster) »

samuellaw178 wrote:Just curious, are you single dosing or using a loaded hopper?
Loaded hopper, since I'm using the weight functionality.
Bret wrote:How do things work with your stock basket(s)?

I've found no compelling value from the VSTs. Short of being very consistent for competitions, they seem to add no value. I have to wonder why the basket is the level-playing field common denominator for competitions anyway. Maybe it is because they are intentionally far enough away from ideal to make a consistent difference in difficulty and finicky-ness. I've only kept them on hand because I recognize the possibility that someday I'll stumble across a situation where they are useful. Otherwise I see no reason to fight with them.
My stock Rocket basket wouldn't take an 18G dose, so I switched to it to get an extra gram in my dosing. I don't think I can tell a difference in the cup based just on the VST, beyond the increased dosing.
wai2cool4u wrote:I've seen people buying 58mm camera lens hoods off amazon to use as dosing funnels. Here's one that costs 5.50 with free prime shipping that looks like a good alternative to the Decent Espresso (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GFY786/)
Ordered!

sprin001

#25: Post by sprin001 »

FWIW I recently bought a VST 22g and am pulling on a rocket R58, grinder is nouva simonelli mdx. I was always pulling 20-22g shots and having difficulty with consistency, distribution, and flavor. I dropped to 17g and have been having amazing results. You may try dose variation?

MNate

#26: Post by MNate »

wai2cool4u wrote:I've seen people buying 58mm camera lens hoods off amazon to use as dosing funnels. Here's one that costs 5.50 with free prime shipping that looks like a good alternative to the Decent Espresso (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GFY786/)
Brilliant! I might just do that... my canning funnel has been a bit annoying. And I hear a funnel may come with the Monolith that I will have saved up for in 5 years so a camera hood should last until then!