Cheap bean contest

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
happycat

#1: Post by happycat »

Has there ever been a challenge to get the best roast out of cheaper beans? Probably anathema to the ferrari gear crowd and the gesha enthusiasts, but a fun puzzle for me. Like making for dinner whatever's in the cupboards.

Roasting Ethiopian Djimmah grade 5. 10lb sacks get down to $4.80CDN/lb at green beanry (which i can pick up in person now my other half lives in TO)

There is work sorting the bad beans but the roasts taste good to me.
LMWDP #603

edtbjon

#2: Post by edtbjon »

I guess most (or all) professionals face that challenge every day. :)
For me, as I'm roasting coffee for myself and maybe a few friends now and then, the challenge is finding good coffee at the small weights that I buy (similar to most of us here). When buying say 10 pounds and having 3 varieties to choose from, that choice is easy. The reason for this is simply that I don't need to consider the economic part as much as I want to get the best cup that I can find and roast.
Making a living out of it is a different story. There's the business part in it which makes for most of the equation. Finding and balancing greens with good enough taste at a good enough price. From my amateur perspective, I guess (again) that what makes a successful professional roaster is the way he or she runs the business, not being the better roaster by .2 in the cupping score.

dominico
Team HB

#3: Post by dominico »

I've had some pretty darn good espresso made with low grade beans, including robusta. The trick seems be in in knowing how to blend.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?