Breville Dual Boiler recommended settings - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pcrussell50

#11: Post by pcrussell50 »

mrjag wrote:Thanks forOn my machine, 83% ramps up to 8.7 bar then declines down to 7 bar over the course of the shot.
This is normal in any extraction. As the solids come out of the puck during an extraction, it offers less and less resistance to flow. You can really see (feel) it when you are using a direct lever like a Pavoni or Cremina.
mrjag wrote: I'd also add that you probably don't want to swap back and forth between the VST and Breville baskets because the grind levels required are different and it would be a pain to constantly adjust your grinder to compensate.
While this is true. It is precisely why I do switch back and forth between Breville and VST. In my case, I have such variation in bean performance and requirements (home roaster of large variety), that the very different handling characteristics between the two can be put to use. Though I will say, that if you stick with one bean, pro roasted, you probably ought to stick to the basket that works for you. It is also true that with VST's very high flow rate, (low resistance to flow), it puts more demand on quality grind, and more demand on puck prep, and you will still have more sink shots. IOW, they are more finicky. Despite all their marketing hype about precision, probably not the best choice for a beginner.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mrjag

#12: Post by mrjag »

Nickriders wrote:18g for stock, you can also get anything that vst does as it will fit the portafilter, best is 18-20. Also if you dont have, get a 0.1g scale like the aws sc 2kg, You can play with pre infusion but the best way I enjoyed the machine was to set pre-infusion to 83-84% and set it for 60 second, the flow rate will be set like a la marzoccho with .6 gicleur. It will also give you extraction at 6bar. Enjoy!
Another update to let you know I've been running the 83% setting for two weeks now with good success on some lightly roasted yirgacheffe beans. I switched to to a blend of beans (first crack to full city) over the weekend after running out of the yirgacheffe and had trouble dialing in a good flavor profile. These beans usually have a nice chocolate and caramel but I was stuck with something between raisins and burnt marshmallow. After locking in everything else as best as possible, I started playing with the pressure again and bumping it up fixed the problem.

For anyone else messing around with pressure profiles, it might be the case where lower pressures work better with lighter roasts and higher pressures with darker roasts.

Advertisement
Nickriders

#13: Post by Nickriders replying to mrjag »

Indeed, the 83% is not the absolute number but a good start to play with. Like you did, the best way is to go with a bean/blend that you know and play with it. I go from 80 to 85% and set the opv to 7 bar.

OldmatefromOZ

#14: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

Nickriders wrote:You can play with pre infusion but the best way I enjoyed the machine was to set pre-infusion to 83-84% and set it for 60 second, the flow rate will be set like a la marzoccho with .6 gicleur. It will also give you extraction at 6bar. Enjoy!
Thanks! Ive played with lower pressures Pi, lower OPV settings and the water tap trick. Did not realise you could even go this high or length of time in settings!

Using med - dark blend, set mine to 86% (standard pressure right on 9bar) end up with nice slow ramp up to 8 bar. The difference in the overall flow rate throughout the entire shot (naked pf) is quite remarkable! Slow steady flow that never seems to speed up (18g in 36g out) and the taste seems far superior to all other methods. :D

Ahmoo

#15: Post by Ahmoo »

How do you adjust the OPV?

Jared

#16: Post by Jared replying to Ahmoo »

Below is a link with pictures of how to adjust it. This is from the original BDB (BES900), but they still apply to the current BES920.

http://nic.steve-tek.com/?page_id=180