Steam wand dripping water when done steaming

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
AlexCA

#1: Post by AlexCA »

Hi Everyone,
I'm having an issue with my Expobar where the steam wand will drop water as I close the steam knob. When I start steaming some water comes out as expected and then the steam turns into nice and dry steam as you would expect. The issue then becomes when I close the knob more water comes out.
This is a short video to show what I mean:
Could this be a problem with the water level sensor in the steam boiler? The other thing I have noticed is that the steam boiler pressure can vary between 1.1-1.5 bar. I'm not sure if this is due to how the pressurestat is functioning and should be expected or this is out of the normal range.

Thanks,
Alex

viveur

#2: Post by viveur »

I have the Expobar Leva DB (Brewtus), and experience the same with my steam wand. I have a suspicion it's partly that water will get trapped inside the steam tip (i.e. not everything gets blown out at the start), and will then drip out when you reduce the pressure at the end. But I'd certainly be interested in knowing what others think.

On my machine, the steam pressure will vary a bit when I'm not using steam - I think it goes between 1.3 and 1.5. And the pressure goes down when I'm actually steaming. Your range seems a bit bigger, but if you're including the pressure seen after steaming then it's probably fine?

AlexCA (original poster)

#3: Post by AlexCA (original poster) »

viveur wrote: I have a suspicion it's partly that water will get trapped inside the steam tip (i.e. not everything gets blown out at the start), and will then drip out when you reduce the pressure at the end. But I'd certainly be interested in knowing what others think.
Do you think using other steam tips will affect this? I currently have a 1 hole tip but I'll try tonight with the two hole and see what happens.
Your range seems a bit bigger, but if you're including the pressure seen after steaming then it's probably fine?
I just got this machine so I'm not really sure. I'll do some more testing tonight and see if there is any issue. The steam definitely drops into the green range (I believe ~0.9 bar) while the steam wand is in use.

jeffreylam98

#4: Post by jeffreylam98 »

My expobar will also drips water through the steam wand.I only tightened it more and it stops dripping

AlexCA (original poster)

#5: Post by AlexCA (original poster) replying to jeffreylam98 »

The issue I see with that is that it ends up dropping some water into your milk which is definitely not-optimal.

I left the tips in some soapy water overnight and then situation seems to have improved marginally. On the double steam tip I only get a few bubbles and no squirts. Maybe sometime I can take apart the whole wand and clean it and it will solve the issue.

jeffreylam98

#6: Post by jeffreylam98 »

Maybe the water level probe had scale built up and caused the water level too high ?

mrjag

#7: Post by mrjag »

Another possibility is that you have some buildup on your needle valve, preventing it from fully closing. A very slow steam leak will end up with condensation collecting inside the wand and dripping out over time. Does it ever stop dripping?

AlexCA (original poster)

#8: Post by AlexCA (original poster) replying to mrjag »

From my limited use with this machine I haven't seen any leaking from the wand. I'll keep an eye out for it.