Cafelat Robot manual espresso maker - Page 5

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Spongolia

#41: Post by Spongolia »

Hi Paul,
Does your portafilter and basket fit on a Baby Faemina? I'd very much like to try it naked on my Faemina...
Cheers,
Max

crazy4espresso

#42: Post by crazy4espresso replying to Spongolia »

Hi Max,
This has been answered, and unfortunately it does not fit. Parts are not interchangeable.

Cheers.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

Advertisement
Spongolia

#43: Post by Spongolia »

I thought I read on the Paul Pratt has something cooking thread that it was just the piston seal that didn't fit. Was it mentioned somewhere else? Thanks!

schneckerl

#44: Post by schneckerl »

Would it be possible to get an update? More than a month ago a few additional infos were announced to be released shortly. Since I was about to buy another non electric manual lever, I postponed this decision given the announcement of the release of those additional informations.

Without wanting to sound demanding, but is there some kind of time-line? Did the project incur some problems? I love what I've seen so far and would be in for a robot, but at least I'd wish to know when this could potentially be happening.

Cafelatstore (original poster)
Sponsor

#45: Post by Cafelatstore (original poster) »

We are still in the tooling adjustment phase, albeit a lot slower than expected. I am not happy with the speed of the adjustments and the casting results of the aluminium pieces - especially the intricate parts like the portafilter and spouts where 0.05mm tolerance is required. Our regular stainless steel portafilters can meet that tolerance without any issue at all. So I am now discussing with our regular stainless steel casting supplier to see if we can have the piston, portafilter and spouts all made in stainless.

Samples keep coming in and the main body and base are almost there.

Simon345

#46: Post by Simon345 »

For me it would be a bonus to have stainless on as much as possible even at a (reasonable) higher cost.

Good luck with the remainder of the build!

TreCime

#47: Post by TreCime »

Paul, you certainly do things right. Keep up the Lord's work! Looking forward a finished product we know we can count on.

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#48: Post by Marcelnl »

I like the thoroughness!

One question, would the two metal sorts combined or in contact via conducting water not tend to eat away due to galvanic corrosion and mainly for the piston? (Thinking that the pf and spout can be stored separate from the machine)
LMWDP #483

Cafelatstore (original poster)
Sponsor

#49: Post by Cafelatstore (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Well of course I understand about the galvanic corrosion but not sure why it would apply here. If I go my original route and use Aluminium for the PF, Spouts and Piston, or change all those to steel there is zero contact between piston, basket and water. The piston never touches the basket since the silicone seal is in the way.

I don't think you can compare an electric heater machine made of aluminium that is on for hours with a manual machine fill with hot water for a few seconds.

Marcelnl

#50: Post by Marcelnl »

It was just a thought, if you conbine the two metals and they touch corrosion could happen through water as it conducts Or where the two metals meet and water is present
Not knowing the details of the construction it was just something that popped in my mind whe thinking about two metals in one construction, you're probably right, the contact between water/espresso is short lived.
LMWDP #483