Nossa Familia Coffee's new Microlot Release Club subscription

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
NossaCoffee
Sponsor

#1: Post by NossaCoffee »

Hey friends! This is Karen, Marketing Director over at Nossa Familia in Portland, and I wanted to share with you all something new we're trying out at Nossa Familia Coffee...

For the first time we are offering a subscription program, which will be how we roll out our new, fresh crop Central American microlots. Every year our Director of Coffee, Rob Hoos, travels to origin and receives samples from our partner farms to curate our selection of microlots. And year after year, Rob and I have a similar conversation, when I find out that he has purchased 8-10 (or more) microlots from our Central American partner farms, some of which are different lots from the same farm, cooperative or even different single farmers in the same cooperative:
"Rob, how are we supposed to sell all of these coffees? How are we supposed to communicate to people about their differences? How are people supposed to CHOOSE?" -Me
This time around, we're trying something new, so that you can have a chance to try all of these amazing coffees. That's why we're inviting you to join our new Microlot Release Club (http://www.nossacoffee.com/products/mic ... lease-club). Rob and our crew have visited these farmers, sampled their coffees, cupped them, dialed in their roast profiles, and have been simply blown away by these outstanding coffees. A few of them Rob has described as "FREAKING FANTASTIC."

Now it's your turn to try them all, and appreciate them for what they are, and also where they come from. For example, here are a few we're excited to highlight:
  • A natural-process coffee from Nicaragua Finca San Jose de las Nubes. This was the first time that brothers Bayardo and Alvaro Reyes have tried doing a natural process coffee. They hit the nail on the head - and they may have Googled how to do it.
    A new microlot from Fredy Gonzalez, a colleague of Timoteo Minas of the San Miguel Escobar Cooperative, whose 2033-masl coffee stood out in a competition amongst other co-op members
    Two geisha coffees processed in different ways from Finca San Jerónimo Miramar in Guatemala - a honey process and washed process
Starting August 24 (yes - tomorrow!), we'll unveil our new single origin coffees in a 4-week subscription of Central American microlot releases. Subscribers will get 8 outstanding coffees from 6 farms, over 4 shipments. Each week will contain two 4-ounce bags of exceptional coffees paired on a weekly theme. The club will be open to purchase until Sept 5, but new members after this week may get the first two shipments together.

Once you've joined the club and received your coffees, join the conversation over at the Nossa Familia blog: http://www.nossacoffee.com/microlot-club
Each week, we will post more background information about the coffees, and the flavor notes that we are tasting from them. We invite members of the club also to comment with their impressions.

Thanks for reading, hope you'll check it out and join the conversation!

Karen Lickteig
karen@nossacoffee.com

justgrindit

#2: Post by justgrindit »

Too bad you don't ship overseas.. well, other than to a handfull of countries :cry:

Advertisement
dale_cooper

#3: Post by dale_cooper »

Not sure I'll bite but this is such an awesome idea. As a marketing person myself, I would love to see more companies do innovative ideas like this A bit pricey ($1.81 per oz) but the opportunity to "sample" different coffees, discuss the roast curves, flavors and brew methods with the roaster, and with other coffee nerds is really valuable. Specialty coffee is so much cooler when there is a social aspect to it; so many nuances and things to learn.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

Showed up today. Looking forward to trying these tomorrow!

"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

NossaCoffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#5: Post by NossaCoffee (original poster) »

Sweet! Let us know what you think :)

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

jbviau wrote:Showed up today. Looking forward to trying these tomorrow!
So what did you think? Nossa sent me an evaluation sample. I like sweet juicy coffees as a change of pace and the natural process Finca ("LIGHT") was quite a treat. :D
Dan Kehn