Baratza Sette 270 quality issues been resolved yet? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Mrboots2u

#21: Post by Mrboots2u »

I have not owned a sette but I have seen a good number of users send em back with reported faults through uk forums . Mainly the W version .
Yep they may be smaller and have a better workflow than the bigger grinders , but lets see how many are actually going after 12 months .
In the Uk you can get some great used grinders for £500 ( and then buy some scales :( ) ..

OkuV90

#22: Post by OkuV90 »

OkuV90 wrote:I had an issue with my Sette this week. It has been working great for months! However, while I was grinding for my morning espresso I heard a loud, screeching sound. :cry: Removing the hopper I discovered a piece of metal sticking out from the inside where the burrs are! I tried removing the bottom burr, but it was stuck. After adding a little more force I was able to remove the bottom burr. Please see images to see what I'm talking about. My first thought was that my wife (or cats) must have sabotaged me, but I'm 99% sure that's not the case. I have reached out to Baratza and the only thing they responded was that the metal piece must have come from my coffee beans and to reach out to the roaster (Ritual Coffee). I have replied to them saying how unlikely this is and they have yet to respond and I am wishing for a repair/replacement. It is unlikely that the metal piece came from the coffee since I weigh out the coffee for every shot and then pour the 18g of coffee into the hopper. I feel that I would have noticed the metal piece at some point. Also, I have tried to use the grinder again and it isn't working. It keeps getting stuck while trying to grind the coffee beans, seems like it might be off balance or something. The grinder is broken, but Baratza has yet to sincerely respond to my issue.

Has this happened to anybody else? Does anyone have any thoughts on where the metal piece might have come from?
Baratza has replied to my messages and we are working on figuring out how to fix the issue. I now agree that this must have come from the coffee beans. However, Baratza is being helpful in trying to resolve the issue with the broken grinder... I just hope this doesn't happen to anybody else. :roll:

sluflyer06

#23: Post by sluflyer06 »

My good friend has a Sette 270W, he's had it maybe 6 months and it's broken down twice already, he makes 3-4 shots a day. The first time the grinder was barely turning, as if it was struggling to grind, I think they sent him a new motor?? Then a month or 2 ago his burr carrier broke. I think the sette has similar reliability as we are used to for Barazta, but the grind quality is good.

DougH

#24: Post by DougH »

I've lost a couple grinders over the decades to those dreaded wires. Has happened with different normally great micro-roasters. I can only guess its an agricultural process element. I preweigh my beans now before pouring into a grinder just to avoid losing another one.

cmin

#25: Post by cmin »

I have a replacement 270 (non w) on the way, should be here tomorrow. Mine went months fine, then motor started sounding labored, and was grinding a bit slower then normal, and then it wouldn't turn on next time I went to use it. Usually only used twice a day, maybe 3x sometimes for espresso. Can imagine what its like on Baratzas end, logistically this grinder has to be a nightmare for them on the back end with all the replacements and fixes.... which sucks, b/c when its working, no doubt its a kick ass grinder with top notch grind quality. But I don't recall any of their grinders all these years having the amount of issues, complaints, and replacements, even on reddit and other places are full of that. And thats just people who post online which like anything else is a small %, imagine how many others are out there having trouble that you/we don't know about.... That has to be a royal pain in the ass for Baratza on their end, but their good service has always come through.

And damn, that wire, glad I single dose. That sucks. I only had something like that happen once on a preciso where a tiny rock went through, luckily the way that grinder was designed, the burr carrier cracked as a failsafe and the second I heard the sound I turned the grinder off.

Frenchman

#26: Post by Frenchman »

I read that the 270Ws are also not as good as the 270s, is there any truth to that? QC issues aside, is the output of a 270W much better than that of a Mazzer Mini (doser, used as a single doser)?
LMWDP #712

Headala

#27: Post by Headala replying to Frenchman »

There is no doubt the Mazzer is more solidly built. But I have an SJ doser and a Mini doser (used as single dosers) and prefer the shots from my Sette 270W. I also love the simple "put portafilter in, press button, 18.0 grams are in my basket" vs. the Mazzer tap/brush/rev/brush again/scrape/whap/whap/whap routine. On the flip side, I have had to have my 270W replaced once in the 9 months that I've owned it, so that part is a bit more work. But to me it's worth it.

Craigeo

#28: Post by Craigeo »

I love my W version. It did just break though. Won't grind... I push the grind button... the display changes and nothing happens. Contacted Baratza, they had me try a couple things and are now shipping a replacement out. I've had mine 6 months. So, not sure about long term reliability but support is great. I do have a Lido 3 I use for French press and chemex so am using that for espresso until my replacement Sette comes in.

goodboyr

#29: Post by goodboyr »

Very happy with my 270W. It's been perfect with dosing within .2 gm every time. And Baratza just came out with a longer PF retention hook for those of us with 53mm PF's. They sent me one free of charge, and it perfectly centers the PF under the grounds chute. Very happy camper!

Craigeo

#30: Post by Craigeo »

Baratza sent me a new replacement. Works great again!