Home / Garage Roasting - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bradenl123 (original poster)

#11: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

I have looked at the 2018 BC-300 and it is around 3200 shipped...If I played the lottery and won a couple hundred dollars that might bump me into that range. The reason I am leaning towards Huky is that it is a gas roaster. I understand that a lot of people on this forum have differing opinions about gas vs electric. I wanted to try gas because if I were to move up to a BC-300 or TJ-066 it would be gas. The Huky to me looks elegant I know people say its clunky and perhaps if I got it I would change my mind. I like the aspect that everything on the Huky can be modified to get that extra oomph (as with any roaster but the Huky might be a tad easier since it is smaller and little mods can go a long way and I am not mechanically inclined at all and wouldn't want to ruin a 3000$ machine). It all comes down to money in the end for me. 2000$ is probably the limit. The Kaldi looks nice and I have read reviews on it. The Cloud Bean Tec I have read some on it but it doesn't seem like much is in English from one of the reviews. Huky has a pretty good customer base and Mr. Li is very genuine. I spoke with Steve from Mill City and he recommended the Huky as well. I would like to roast larger batches eventually and give it to family and friends (possibly sell in the future which would require a larger capacity) The Huky offers a larger capacity as much as a lb I have heard from people on the forum with a good profile on the roast. The BC-300 and 066 are still on my mind.

Thanks,

Braden

Advertisement
SJM

#12: Post by SJM »

bradenl123 wrote: I like the aspect that everything on the Huky can be modified to get that extra oomph
This doesn't make any sense to me. What do you mean by 'extra oomph'? And what on the HUKY do you think can be modified to achieve it?....especially if -- as you state -- you are not 'handy'???

Edit: I see from your post at the HUKY forum that you have placed an order for the HUKY.

#13: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

I haven't placed an order. Just seeing what I need if I were to. What I meant is this....I am not handy in the sense of rewiring, programming to set up something to monitor x,y,z. But if I just have to drill a hole and place a probe in something to monitor temps I can definitely do that. Likewise, is that when looking on the huky forum it seems that the mods people are putting on the machines are relatively easy to do aside from maybe making something control the gas via a phidget. That is not something I want to do. I like that the Hottop has everything done for you and the quest just looks sleek but I would have to do the mods on the Quest instead of Mr. Li doing it for me on the Huky. Realistically, I would be happy with all of them but when reaching out to Mill City they said get a Huky if the 066 or 067 wont meet your finance criteria.

SJM

#14: Post by SJM »

bradenl123 wrote: but I would have to do the mods on the Quest instead of Mr. Li doing it for me on the Huky.
Last tidbit from me and I will stop meddling: You will have to do any mods you want done on the HUKY too.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

jerbear00

#15: Post by jerbear00 »

:twisted:

Save your pennies and get a TJ from mill city roasters. I am glad I went that route from the behmor.

I think the answer to this question is how many intermediary steps do you want to take.... This may be terrible advice but sometimes I find that throwing more money at something opens me up to focusing on the task at hand (better technique) and stop worrying about missing out on x or y that theoretical machine may provide if I upgrade again....

For reference my path: freshroast -> Nesco -> Behmor -> TJ-067

#16: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Honestly, I can't say I disagree with that statement. Sometimes, I have splurged on a purchase and that kept me utilizing it. I am building a separate savings account and its quite possible when I reach the money for a Huky I'll say whats double that? If I did get a TJ I would go the 66 route because I am in the Army and will hopefully be getting out soon and that will put me in limbo and being in limbo with heavy and expensive things always sucks to move them around. It truly is just being patient. Often I read so much that it can be detrimental. I see the quality statements of Huky and Quest and Hottop that I think well why not just start there and then those who have moved on and have said, " I wish I would have started here from the beginning". The 067 is what everyone recommends if they do get a North but sadly 5,500 to spend when currently paying off student loans seems a bit backwards.

Thanks for all the responses!

hankua
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by hankua »

You'll be fine with the Huky, and can roast a ton of coffee; literally. It's going to need good ventilation, so hopefully you have a good spot picked out. I've got a pro style 1lb gas roaster and an older Huky I picked up used. The pro style machines are more convenient and easier to use than the Huky; flip side of the equation makes using the Huky great gas roaster training. Huky stoves have plenty of power paired with the Taiwan 4kPa regulator, one of the quirks of the machine is the tendency to get some beans stuck in the exhaust pipe. It's a minor inconvenience and can be reduced.

I feel confident in saying someone skilled/practiced using a Huky will have no issues moving up to a gas shop roaster.

Advertisement
JDP

#18: Post by JDP »

Something to consider also is that Hukys have a pretty high resale value. You could probably get 75% or more of your investment back if you decided to upgrade when your living situation stabilizes.

#19: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

That is true. And to be honest, I don't typically see Huky's for sale and I believe there is a reason for that. That is the direction I'm headed in. My garage is quite open and can fit a desk setup for a Huky. I usually get too ancy and will probably pull the trigger once I save around 1600-2000$ I don't think I will be able to wait. :shock: