What is wow'ing you? - Page 72

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
igorchakov

#711: Post by igorchakov »

HBchris wrote:Kuma Kenya Kainamui

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0113/ ... 1498240347

As espresso: Super sweet, tastes just like sugared red ruby red grapefruit with hint of cherry. At longer extraction time loses some sweetness, but pineapple comes through. Also makes a great cortado/gibraltar, im still tasting several hours and meals later.
I will need to try this. Thanks!

RyanP

#712: Post by RyanP »

HBchris wrote:Kuma Kenya Kainamui

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0113/ ... 1498240347

As espresso: Super sweet, tastes just like sugared red ruby red grapefruit with hint of cherry. At longer extraction time loses some sweetness, but pineapple comes through. Also makes a great cortado/gibraltar, im still tasting several hours and meals later.
Picked this up last week, and have been loving it. Mostly pulling espresso. 202-203F, 15.5 in, 31 out. I agree, very sweet and the grapefruit note is awesome without the sharp acidity. Does quite well as a brew, too.

HBchris

#713: Post by HBchris replying to RyanP »

my thoughts exactly. When people hear grapefruit they instinctively cringe a bit, but there is a big difference between a sour grapefruit usually associated with under extraction or poorly underdeveloped light roasts and super sweet grapefruit candy :D

DaveC113

#714: Post by DaveC113 »

Dragonfly's Leam Hammer espresso blend. Wow. :mrgreen:

spressomon

#715: Post by spressomon »

Northbound's Gayo Highlands Sumatra. Tried a 12oz bag on the last big order of their American Beauty, one of my favorites of late, and then went back and bought 5 more lbs of their Sumatra. Its just incredible.

Their descriptors of "tobacco, melon, peach and hops" are spot on. Its full bodied and big in the cup flavor. Light roast; 19g dose, 18gVST, 198F brew temp, 20-second PB/PI and 36g espresso weight. And at $64 shipped for 5lbs (organic too!) its one of the best bargains I've found in quite some time.

No relation other than I'm a very satisfied consumer of their beans: http://northboundcoffee.com/store/#!/Ga ... ory=720652
No Espresso = Depresso

toto_

#716: Post by toto_ »

I am really enjoying Anchorhead Leviathan lately. Light roast; 18g dose; 1:2 ratio, about 30s extraction. It is extremely fruity, stands up in a latte very well and is super tasty as a straight shot too. I would definitely recommend it if you are in the Seattle area and like light roasts.

I used to enjoy the Metropolis Redline blend years ago but stopped buying it because it changed too much. I decided to give it another try recently and I was pleasantly surprised. It is now a light medium roast. Their recommendation is: 18.5g in; 34g out; 25-28s.
This is really different from what it used to be. If I remember correctly it used to be a medium roast and they used to recommend something closer to a 1:1 ratio (still on their website actually).
Anyway it tastes great both as a straight shot and as a latte. You can definitely notice the fruit aspect but it is not as overwhelming as the Leviathan for example. More balanced and probably more approachable for most people. It is also well priced ($15 for 1lb bag with a 2 and 5lb option).

cmin

#717: Post by cmin replying to toto_ »

Used to love Redline, haven't had it in a long time

stherric

#718: Post by stherric »

Onyx Columbia el obraje geisha. Unbelievable coffee, one of the best I've had. Sweet mango black tea when it's warm and cools to a strawberry green tea.

rangerrick9211

#719: Post by rangerrick9211 »

I've been die-hard Red Bird for five years. Decided to stretch the legs of my new M58 and bought 5# of Mt. Air Roaster's Black Mountain.

At 1:1.5, 201°, 33-35s it rings like a champ when it hits: molasses, chocolate, nutmeg. It's a relevant cup for this time of year!

The downside. I can't keep this bean dialed. The way it pulls reminds me of Hairbender on the few occasions I've bought it. It's just finicky. Back-to-back, same parameters and same environment can swing between perfect and a channeling mess. You really have to crank the fineness so the MOE is stupid small.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#720: Post by RockyIII »

It has been a while since I tried Belle Espresso from Klatch Coffee in Rancho Cucamonga, California, and never on my Cremina. I got some last week and have been enjoying it yesterday and today.

First of all, what a great name for a town! More importantly, brewed at a 1:2 ratio (14.5 grams in, 29 grams out), 201°F, on my Cremina, the current iteration of the Belle Espresso blend is some of the most delicious espresso I've ever had. Tasting notes are chocolate, blackberry, and brandy.

Rocky