How do you do multi-quotes here? - Page 2

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
JR_Germantown

#11: Post by JR_Germantown »

HB wrote:Such habits demand extra scrolling, which can be really tiresome on a mobile phone.
Indeed. Now, it we'd all use some discipline and quote only the relevant lines--
And if the forum removed multiple empty lines automagically, that would further improve the mobile experience.

Just my $0.02 (USD). ;)

Jack

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by Peppersass »

HB wrote:Look in the TOPIC REVIEW section below the edit window. Put the cursor where you want the quote inserted, then click the quote button (see below) of the member(s) you wish to quote. You can copy/paste as John suggested, but you won't get their name or any formatting in their quotation.

<image>
The problem with this approach is that there's a limit to the number of posts displayed in the TOPIC REVIEW section, even when using the EXPAND VIEW option. I don't know whether the limit is the number of posts or total length, but it usually prevents going back to read or quote a post that's more than a few posts from the end of the thread. This often forces me to open additional browser windows to find earlier posts.

Dan, is there a way to eliminate the limit so all posts in the thread are accessible from the Reply window?

HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

Peppersass wrote:Dan, is there a way to eliminate the limit so all posts in the thread are accessible from the Reply window?
I've increased the limit to two page's worth of posts. Unlimited wouldn't be wise, given some threads go for hundreds of pages.
Dan Kehn

ira
Team HB

#14: Post by ira »

Would it be reasonable to implement a feature where Only the highlighted portion of a message is added to the new message when "Quote" is pressed. It would certainly make it easier to only quote one line from a long message.

Ira

SJM

#15: Post by SJM replying to ira »

Maybe and maybe not, but it certainly easy enough to quote and then go in and edit out the parts you didn't need printed....

ira
Team HB

#16: Post by ira replying to SJM »

Yea, I do that all the time, but when it's one sentence in the middle of a long post finding it can be troublesome. And I almost always do that after having highlighted the sentence I want to quote and having that fail. I try really hard to not add unnecessary noise to threads. I grew up in places where that was very frowned upon.

Ira

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

ira wrote:Yea, I do that all the time, but when it's one sentence in the middle of a long post finding it can be troublesome. And I almost always do that after having highlighted the sentence I want to quote and having that fail.
I had honestly forgotten about that feature, i.e., select some text from the TOPIC REVIEW below the edit window and press the post's quote button. Even works on a mobile phone.
Dan Kehn

Andy

#18: Post by Andy »

A bit off topic, but I would like to suggest that people use a quote, or some other form of reference, when replying to a specific post rather than to the topic in general. If you reply without reference and other discussion has occurred in the mean time, it often makes no sense. Am I making sense?

jpender

#19: Post by jpender »

Why two pages?

I'd rather it be left at one but have a link that opens more than a single page, perhaps even the entire thread.

ira
Team HB

#20: Post by ira »

HB wrote:I had honestly forgotten about that feature, i.e., select some text from the TOPIC REVIEW below the edit window and press the post's quote button. Even works on a mobile phone.
Huh, I just tried what you suggested with the result being an empty "
" pair.

Ira