What vintage lever espresso machine make the best tasting coffee? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ppaolo2 (original poster)

#11: Post by ppaolo2 (original poster) »

I've come across a 70s Sama Export for the price of 179€, it needs a new sightglass and gasket replacement, would you consider it a good deal?

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

Paolo,

People come up with this question often enough for different machines that HB Team member dominico wrote this thread to help you research prices.

How to price used espresso equipment
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
peacecup

#13: Post by peacecup »

The main issue to look for with a used Sama is if the boiler is not damaged, with a pinhole for example. Most other issues can be relatively easily fixed for not too much money.

Fixing the sightglass will cost a few Euros and take some basic mechanical skills. You can see the prices for all the parts on this site:

https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/pontevecchio.html

Those people are very reliable for getting parts fast.

I did not respond to this thread earlier because I'm biased towards the Sama/Ponte Vecchio machines. I've been using them for years and find they meet all my espresso needs. If I had the time, space, and money for a commercial lever I might reconsider, but for a compact home lever the Export is a nice choice.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

peacecup

#14: Post by peacecup »

oh, and changing the piston seals is made much easier with a piston removal too - 95 euro on LMC, but you can also 3-D print your own if you search here on HB
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

feitz

#15: Post by feitz »

My 2cts:
- Brugnetti Aurora or the technically similar but newer Bezzera B3000AL (HX)
If this is too large
- Olympia Club or Bezzera Family (like the Club but with a bit larger group, similar to MCal).
Best regards from Munich
Claus

LMWDP #527