Fair price for used Pasquini Livia G4 PID Automatic?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
allemania

#1: Post by allemania »

I've found a used Pasquini Livia G4 PID Automatic for sale with an asking price of $1,000. Unfortunately it's too far away for me to check out if it's functioning correctly.

The unit has been in storage for a while and the seller is not a coffee guy, though he did take the time to power up the machine and show me that it's heating up per the PID display and that the steam and hot water functions are working. He is not able to demonstrate pulling a shot, however.

It still has the plastic covers on the drip tray and upper housing and from what I can see in pics it looks very clean. It also has a water line going to the bottom of the machine, so apparently someone plumbed it with a kit even though it's a vibe pump machine. Some research here on HB let me to believe that this can be done with the right kit. I'm not really worried about that since I'd be using the reservoir and I'd simply uninstall whatever was
there re the water line. He used the reservoir when testing it so I know that should be ok.

I know Pasquini's are rebadged Bezzeras with some body modifications. The general feeling is that they are a bit overpriced when new. I'll admit I have soft spot for the aesthetics and it seems like there were some worthwhile changes to this machine when introduced a few years ago, so it's pretty current tech. On the other hand, I could purchase another HX machine such as a Profitec Pro 500 or Rocket Appartamento (granted they are not PID machines) for an additional $600 and have a couple years of warranty.

Lastly, I'm an automotive technician so I'm handy when it come to fixing things. Also, I just recently bought a Ceado E6P, so I'm set on the grinder front.

Any thoughts from forum members is greatly appreciated.

cafe102

#2: Post by cafe102 »

I've had my G4 for over 3 years and it's a great machine. That sounds like a fair price, and I wouldn't get hung up on not having a warrantee. Shipping a machine back for warrantee work would be a major hassle, especially if you're handy repairing things. I say go for it!

allemania (original poster)

#3: Post by allemania (original poster) »

I like your enthusiasm! I'm definitely leaning towards buying it. You may have pushed me over the edge :D

Thanks for your response!

BenCoulombe

#4: Post by BenCoulombe »

I've had my G4 (non-PID) for a year and a half. Paid 1000$ Canadian on the used market, but the machine was closer to new than used !

I enjoy the ergonomics of the steam joystick (instead of knob). I'm still learning the world of espresso but I am able to pull good shots (still working on consistency) and steam good micro-foam.

I have no experience with other machines, but it seems like a good starting point.

allemania (original poster)

#5: Post by allemania (original poster) »

I've decided to buy this machine pending the seller check a few more items on it, but i'm not anticipating any issues.

Actually, it appears that PID's on HX machines are a heated topic to some. Frankly, I'd be fine with a non-PID G4 but I guess I'll find out firsthand what kind of effect it has on brew temp consistency. Looking forward to it!

Since this is my first prosumer machime, I haven't used rotary knobs for steaming. I'm a little concerned that the lever type may be a strong for steaming small amounts of milk (say, 4 oz) that I typically use. I know that you can feather the steam amount in the downward direction so I'll give that a try if necessary.

Thanks to BenCoulombe and cafe102 for your responses. I must admit it helped me make a decision after hearing from a couple of owners!