Pressure fluctuations and water streaming from steam wand

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ryan Anderson

#1: Post by Ryan Anderson »

Hi everyone,

I have a Cellini espresso machine that seems to be having issues, and since I know next to nothing about the machine, I was hoping for a little guidance.

When heating up, the machine seems to get to the correct pressure soon enough, but once it does, the pressure gauge starts bouncing around intermittently, and there is a clicking sound from inside the machine. I can still pull a shot, but I feel like there might be an issue, because every shot I've pulled for the last week has been as bitter as you can imagine and completely blonde. This could be the beans, but they're not more than a week or two old (fresh roasted), so I have trouble believing that they would go that bitter that quickly. It could also have something to do with the fact that I'm new to this whole espresso thing.

The bigger issue, which I assume is related, is that the steam wand, when you turn it on, even at pressure, sprays two steady streams of water. If you let it go for about 20 seconds, it will finally turn into steam, but not before creating a puddle on the ground.

As a final detail, the last shot I pulled tasted vaguely metallic.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

GVDub
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by GVDub »

There is more than one machine being sold as a "Cellini" model. Is the one you have the vaguely egg-shaped La Pavoni SBDU or the Rocket/ECM HX machine? If you don't know the difference between the distinctions between the machine types, aside from recommending that you do some basic research, one (the La Pavoni) will require that you flip a switch and wait for it to heat to get into steam mode, and the other (Rocket) is able to steam and brew simultaneously without having to switch modes.

Which one do you have? Did you buy it new or used? What basic maintenance have you been doing? Have you tried to find manuals (most machines have manuals available somewhere online)?
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238