Descaling a Rocket R58?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ET

#1: Post by ET »

How practical is to DIY ? I tried searching for a procedure but did not find any conclusive answers, may be it is better to take it to the shop and let them take care of it? Descaling my old Silvia was super easy and did not notice that there is a big difference in doing so with the R58.
I am planning in getting a Mavea Purity C50 filtration kit to try and stretch descaling intervals but I know that eventually the Rocket will need to be descaled and having a procedure to do it myself would be nice, please advice. :roll:

GeorgeP922

#2: Post by GeorgeP922 »

Was looking for R58 reviews, got the itch to sell my duetto.

Shocked noone responded here.

First, I would say "call your vendor ask them, and ask how it affects warranty"

Second I would say, allthough not impossible it is very difficult to "descale" an E61 machine.
Unlike your silvia which had direct heat group head, these have a thermosiphon which circulates water through the group. Cleaning that out is what makes it hard.

There are more concrete reasons you cant, you could find them on this board, or through your vendor.
I know Chris Coffee strongly advises against it.

Here are my tips, try and use filtered water.
If your water does not have TDS it should not clog.

There are many ways to go about it.
My way, and what I will suggest is invest in a Reverse Osmosis kit (about 350$) and direct plumb it to your machine.
If you are afraid of the water being "too dry" you can add a post filter that adds trace calcium.
You also get the added benefit of a sink tap to drink, RO water is delicious.

Advertisement
ET (original poster)

#3: Post by ET (original poster) »

Wow, Thanks George for the advice! Basically, I have been doing what you just recommended....I am using 2 parts RO water, 1 part Mavea Pitcher filtered water (like Brita Pitcher) and also got those Rocket softening in tank pillows.
Using a TDS instrument I am getting about 85ppm and with a API GH & KH test kit I am getting a GH 53ppm and KH 18ppm. I could increase the RO to Filtered water ratio but I am not sure if this would affect somehow the coffee taste. I contacted Rocket and was advised not to use RO water unless I add some regular water (the machine uses a couple of probes , one for the tank and one for the boiler to detect if they are going low and in the absence of minerals in the water those won't work) and also because it makes poor quality coffee.
I am planning in the future to direct plumbing it and using a Bestmax or Mavea in line filter but I am not really sure just yet.
Thanks again for posting a reply! :D

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

How old is your Rocket? I was under the impression that they were relatively new to the market. I'd be surprised that one would need descaling already. And your water isn't very hard at all, based on the numbers you've provided. So unless it got used a ridiculous amount prior to you owning it, and was ran with really hard water, I doubt it needs a descaling.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

ET (original poster)

#5: Post by ET (original poster) »

It is brand new, 2 weeks old actually. I just wanted to be prepared and know in advance what would I need to do to eventually descale my R58. Water coming out of my tap is hard TDS around 300, GH 286 and KH 89 and because I am using all that mix (RO+Filtered water+softening in-tank pillow) is that those numbers went down drastically, the pitcher filtered water brought it down to around TDS 230 and basically the RO water is doing the rest, I get those big 20 liter jugs of RO water(about 5.3 gallons) for about $5 and I think it would last around 1 month so it is not bad.

GeorgeP922

#6: Post by GeorgeP922 »

ET wrote:Wow, Thanks George for the advice! Basically, I have been doing what you just recommended....I am using 2 parts RO water, 1 part Mavea Pitcher filtered water (like Brita Pitcher) and also got those Rocket softening in tank pillows.
Using a TDS instrument I am getting about 85ppm and with a API GH & KH test kit I am getting a GH 53ppm and KH 18ppm. I could increase the RO to Filtered water ratio but I am not sure if this would affect somehow the coffee taste.
Wow I thought I took water seriously. No worry about going over your head.
First, where is your RO source? Before I got my at home RO, my crazy brain had me filling up empty distilled water jugs at work, were I made them get a RO supplied water cooler. Real "cool" bending over and filling gallons of water. (I can use 5 gallons a week)
As you are this serious, I would consider getting a RO kit (with permeate pump). If you are willing to test your water, you can install a RO. Remember RO stores its water in a pressurized tank, and that provides 100 psi continous.

As far as RO water fear, it comes to two factors:
Probes/sensors, theoritically if you have pure distilled water, and no metal or debris particles in the boiler, then sure an electric sensor will not be able to conduct electricity.

Boiler, I have also heard that 100% pure water can damage/scar the boiler (google RO water on metal).

So again I would state that a dedicated RO system would be best, if you are worried about "dry" water damage from RO, install this post filter
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... citefilter
I have the ro run to my drinking tap, then it goes to this filter.
Did this filter produce more calcium than the tap brought naturally, I have NO idea, havent used that TDS meter since before install :roll:
If you have any questions about RO brands, or strategies to get it to work, let me know by pm.

As far as cup quality, I call BS on that.
Sure you can get arguments if the flavor is affected, but you can that argument on 100 other factors in your brewing.
As a person who freezes their beans, overdoses shots, and can enjoy a shot equally when fresh or an hour old, I would prefer a set it and forget it way.

If RO is not your cup of tea, or you won't consume it for drinking pure h20, then get the water softener kit:
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... fteningsys

ET (original poster)

#7: Post by ET (original poster) »

My Ro source is a local company, here in Lima, Peru dedicated to home deliver those infamous 20 liter water jugs :) http://www.aquanovaperu.com
But I think I will follow your advice and look into those home RO systems and install one right beside my R58.By the way what is a permeate pump and why would I need one with the RO kit?
Here is my setup, as you can see I have a sink right beside the Rocket :)
Post a pic of your home espresso setup...

Thanks again!!!!