La Cimbali M29 Select help needed

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
berkinet

#1: Post by berkinet »

I have a La Cimbali 2 group M29 Select that is about 4 years old. I rented my house to someone for 6 months and when I returned I found the machine had serious issues. The pump was very noisy, the left hand side touch-pad is "possessed" and the pressure-stat is sensing air-pressure and turning off prematurely.

I replaced the pump and the machine is now at least operable. But, I continue to have the touch-pad and pressure problems. On the left side group, the touch-pad manual button does not work at all, and pressing the single "long shot" button causes the double "long shot" button to light up. Auto shot timing does not seem to work... after pressing a long shot button the machine stays on until I press either of the short shot buttons. The right hand side group buttons work properly.

The pressure problem is resolved by opening the steam valve after the pressure-stat shuts off the heating current. I have read that this may be caused by a problem with the OPV valve, but, given the lack of documentation on this machine, I am not sure which valve that is.

Any help, ideas or advice most appreciated. Note, FWIW, the machine is in France.

berkinet (original poster)

#2: Post by berkinet (original poster) »

I have resolved both of the issues posted at the top of this thread. For those who may face similar problems, here is how I resolved them.

1) The Touch-Pad issue. I learned that this is common with this, and possibly other similar La Cimbali machines. The problem is that the control circuit registers a button press based on an impedance change in the circuit, not on a simple contact closure. After enough time, some minute amount of moisture gets into the button membrane and changes the impedance, and thus wreaks havoc with the logic. Solution: new membrane. Note, this was not easy to find. I finally had to contact La Cimbali in Italy - the new part cost 79€.

2) Air block. Similar to many other machines, the problem was in the OPV. The rubber washer had become brittle and was not opening as the machine cooled down. Washer replaced, problem cleared.

That is it, now (almost) all is well in the world.