Cuisinart EM-200: dark rim forms around edge of espresso after pouring? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Spitz.me

#11: Post by Spitz.me »

+1 to Dan's reply.

Ditch the espresso setup and make some rock 'n roll hand drip coffee.

A Clever dripper, paper filters, a 'cheap' manual grinder and some great coffee for less than $100.
LMWDP #670

bean2friends

#12: Post by bean2friends »

I feel your pain man. After my steam driven espresso maker quit I got the Cuisinart at BBB along with the Cuisinart burr grinder that was parked right next to it. I figured surely they wouldn't sell a kit that didn't work. Alas! Once more my naivete got the best of me. My children will lie to me, the union will demand things that are not in the best interest of its members and BBB will sell an espresso kit that doesn't make espresso. Go figure. Still, if you were happy with what you were getting before, you might try some fresh roasted coffee - maybe you got lucky with the earlier Starbucks stuff you had. The truth is I used to like it quite a bit. You might also try getting some Joe Glo or similar coffee soap and soak the portafilter in it. What you're trying to do is get back to what you had a few weeks ago not attain the coffee nirvana so many here are reaching for. Also, clean carefully around the group gasket. It's worth a try.

Beezer

#13: Post by Beezer »

What Dan said.

I'd add that the Aeropress and Clever Coffee Dripper are also affordable ways to brew great coffee at home. An Aeropress is about $30, and the CCD is only $15. You'll still need a decent grinder and fresh coffee, but handgrinders are pretty cheap and can give good results, provided you don't mind a little work.
Lock and load!