Taste of water from boiler

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
matt1203

#1: Post by matt1203 »

first time I use water from the boiler to make tea, surprisingly I found taste quite different compare to I use hot water which gas stove.

the water source both the machine and gas stove are the same filtered, and softened, anyone knows the reason behind?

Thanks

pocojoe

#2: Post by pocojoe »

Hi Matt,
Sometimes the boiler can become contaminated with milk getting "sucked back" into the machine, under some circumstances. Not all machines are prone to this problem. I would suggest that you take a cup of water from the machine, as if to make tea, but then let it cool and stand. Compare it to your water source (?tap water?) for clarity, taste and odor. Do the same with the water from your teapot that sits on the stove. Who knows, maybe the stove teapot has a long-forgotten hard boiled egg floating in it and it is the culprit!
Joe
PocoJoe
Safety Third- First Roast, then Grind

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

The water in the boiler is at a higher temperature than that on the stove. The minerals in the boiler tend to have a higher mineral content coming out than coming in. Think of the difference in taste of the water coming from the cold water taps in your home and the hot water tap and you get the idea. If you need a regular source of hot water, best to get a cordless kettle or a tea kettle. I would be more surprised to hear someone say that the boiler water tasted the same or better than water from a stove-top kettle.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

matt1203 (original poster)

#4: Post by matt1203 (original poster) »

Thank, actually I think I have found the reason behind. I use DVA water softener goes to my machine, just to save some work and additional filter. I also drain water from the DVA to water bottle for drinking purpose.

my guess is that since I drain water out of DVA to drinking bottle which is about 12 liters the water doesn't have enough time to be softened. only machine gets softened water from DVA since machine doesn't draw water all the time, and water sits inside the DVA have enough time to react.

Am I right?