• Announcements
  • Quotable Quote:
    "I think you're seeing the realizations that... people are burnt out on hype and are returning to a somewhat less Pollyanna view of every new grinder out there." --Jeff Kletsky, Is the Niche Duo actually legit?
  • Quotable Quote:
    "You'll be surprised to learn that you are all agents of the global capitalist conspiracy. Repent, and return ye to your Maxwell Houses!" --Jim Schulman, Beware of Hipster Cafes
  • Quotable Quote:
    "It's 'acidic' if you enjoy it and 'sour' if not." --Jeff Kletsky, Sour or acidic, are they the same?
  • Quotable Quote:
    "Leave it to home barista to take the most simple of espresso machines - the spring lever - and make it sound more complex than the large hadron collider." --Pete, Lance Hedrick Review
  • HB: Woohoo! Orphan Espresso Returns to HB.
  • Quotable Quote:
    "If people are willing to pay more for coffee roasted light, and those roasts in and of themselves are more profitable, then why wouldn't a business in that market roast lighter?" --Craig (baldheadracing), Thoughts on Light Roasted Coffee
  • Quotable Quote:
    "Crema tells very little, if at all. I can get a beautiful crema on a shot, and the espresso can taste like hell. And some blends will have not such a good looking crema and taste wonderful. It's just a window dressing." --Pete (bullet08), About crema
  • Quotable Quote:
    "Personally I choose the one [grinder] that tastes the best and learned to live with anything I don't like about the physical device. After all, its purpose is to grind coffee to taste its best, not star in product videos." --Chris (PIXIllate), Better and worse workflow
  • Quotable Quote:
    "Hiding the problem with a paper filter makes the [bottomless portafilter] useless. It's a bit like putting a smiley-face sticker over top a check-engine warning light on your dash - 'All better now'." --Jake Groseclos, Naked portafilter mess
  • HB: Check out the IKAWA Home Roasting System Review. This multi-part review will cover everything from beginner to experienced roaster.
  • Quotable Quote:
    " If one insists on their daily coffee and never exactly repeats their process, I assert they're doomed to find success." --Gary (GDM528), Help with Grinder/Espresso Machine
  • HB: Mary (mpdeem) joins Team HB!
  • Quotable Quote:
    "Both espresso machines will make excellent coffee. But which will bring you joy in the process is what the hobby is all about." --Dustin, Decent vs La Marzocco Linea Micra (or Mini)
  • Quotable Quote:
    "The choice is based on looking at yourself, not at the espresso machines." --Jim Schulman, Comments on La Marzocco Linea Micra Espresso Machine Review
  • Quotable Quote:
    "It's been my observation in life that no matter what you do, someone will complain. My rule of thumb: If 80% of the people are pleased, you're doing great." --Dan Kehn, Bigger default fonts
  • Quotable Quote:
    "There's been a lot of 'armchair science' around coffee and espresso, much of which has proven to be wrong." --Jeff Kletsky, Why are 25 gram baskets not popular?
  • HB: Woohoo! O Canada! JRising and baldheadracing join Team HB.
  • Quotable Quote:
    "The idea that popular products don't receive criticism is simply not true. Maybe it's the minority and maybe that's because a product is a very good one. But the Niche Zero has certainly not escaped criticism." --John (jpender), Niche Zero: One year in review
  • Quotable Quote:
    "If you end up wanting to pursue espresso as a hobby, [entry level espresso equipment] will limit you at some point, depending on which ways you decide to explore. Those are sort of the Toyota Corollas of the espresso world." --Jeff Kletsky, Advice on espresso machine/grinder for a newbie
  • Quotable Quote:
    "Today, Moriondo is considered as the father of the express machine and consequently the starting point of the history of espresso." --Sebastien Delprat, In search of Moriondo's espresso machine
  • HB: Woohoo! Ira joins Team HB.
  • Quotable Quote:
    "Expectations are just that. I'm on the list, and I greatly appreciate an honest list over aggressive marketing masquerading as transparency." --Jeff Kletsky, Delay for Argos lever espresso machine
  • Quotable Quote:
    "The TL;DR is: invest in the grinder. More than you would now feel comfortable. It'll pay off in the form of much better coffee and a happier, less frustrated you." --Osku, Rocket Appartamento - help, heavy channeling
  • Quotable Quote:
    "But you know what? I get pretty damn good coffee with my simple recipes, simpleton devices and 10-15 minutes of concentration. I cherish the fact that I know where and how to improve, but I resist on the fomo and upgraditis." --Dustin Holloway, Reviving the coffee Zen?
  • HB: Please welcome Cantina Coffee to the HB sponsors! They offer Neapolitan-style coffee directly from Saka Caffè in Italy.
  • Topics