Your favorite cups (demitasse), if you could choose only one set.....

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Fr. John

#1: Post by Fr. John »

which would it be?

I currently have the ubiquitous brown and white ones but I always feel they are a tad on the thick side.

Function first if you please.
Fr. John

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The Bodum doublewalled glass ones are ideal if you pull pretty shots; and especially if you make macchiattos. Their only drawback is that they hold about 2.75 ounces, so ristretto shots tend to get lost in them.
Jim Schulman

Fr. John (original poster)

#3: Post by Fr. John (original poster) »

I've been looking at these, both the small and the so called 9oz version for lattes.

First, they look pretty nice.

However, I have seen too many different reports about their actual volume. The Bodum site puts the small at 2oz, but pretty much everything over at CG says 3.5oz. Again, Bodum puts the larger at 9oz. while I have seen everything from 6.5oz. to 7oz over at CG.

What's accurate?
Fr. John

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

My favorite utilitarian demitasse is the thick walled Nuovo Points. Lately I'm liking the illy cups more and more, despite their obvious commercialization. Among the few collectables I own, the Schwung 1999's are my preferred:

(in particular the gray and dark blue one)

Speaking of illy collectables, I'm reminded of the one that seduced Abe:

The golden cup from A Visit to Illy Gallery in New York

You know what's really unbelieveable about this cup, besides the price? Look closely at what appears to be a gold dot on the front of the cup. No, it's not a dot... it's a hole. Apparently the left-handed artist believed that ristrettos are the only way to drink espresso (or they're really fond of expensive dribble cups :lol:).
Dan Kehn

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

Fr. John wrote:I've been looking at these, both the small and the so called 9oz version for lattes.

However, I have seen too many different reports about their actual volume. The Bodum site puts the small at 2oz, but pretty much everything over at CG says 3.5oz. Again, Bodum puts the larger at 9oz. while I have seen everything from 6.5oz. to 7oz over at CG.

What's accurate?
The problem is that there are several versions, with the later ones being smaller. I have the double walled version from last year (earlier ones are single walled and hold more). I rechecked the volume, and filled to the brim, they weigh in at 1/3 cup, or 2 2/3 ounces.
Jim Schulman

wmfamily

#6: Post by wmfamily »

I like the Espresso Monkey cups that Sweet Marias sells. Basic cups with a good size and a very nice saucer that is very easy to hold. Of course the monkey is very cool too. Other than those I like a set of Lavazza Slow Food cups I picked up in Germany last year. Rather heavy but very cool looking.

John

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Fr. John wrote:I've been looking at these, both the small and the so called 9oz version for lattes.

What's accurate?
I have a set of the double walled, got some of the first sets WLL received. I have the first 3 sizes. Per my digital scale they measured 2 7/8, 8 7/8, and 12 1/4 fl.oz. I like them but find myself wishing they had a small handle.

I am still searching for the perfect cup.
Dave Stephens

Worldman

#8: Post by Worldman »

I really like the ubiquitous and utilitarian Nuova Point 3oz. brown with white interior demi cups. They just feel right though this is pretty silly since one usually gulps an espresso within seconds.

I got them from Espresso Parts and while I have broken a couple (2 out of 12) of the cappuccino cups, the espresso cups seem so thick that it is hard to imagine them ever breaking.

Len

Jacob

#9: Post by Jacob »

I love my 2oz cups

These were not new 35 years ago :twisted:

Fr. John (original poster)

#10: Post by Fr. John (original poster) »

Those are quite nice looking!
Fr. John