Wood Portafilter Holder/Shelf

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
chuckcoffee

#1: Post by chuckcoffee »

I am looking to make up a rack to house different portafilters. Depending on company I find myself switching between bottomless and double/single units. I have looked around but did not see much in the way of a rack or shelf for housing the portafilters outside of the one keeping nice and hot in the group.

The picture is my paddle rack with 2 portafilters dropped in to get ideas going. If anyone has some wood work they have done for this could they please post.

Thanks Chuck

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#2: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

OK, here's my mock-up. I just used some scrap softwood, nothing finished. I'll try it out. Given its working fine I'll do it up in some hardwood. Keeping the blind basket at point of use reminds me on the weekly backflush

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

chuckcoffee wrote: Keeping the blind basket at point of use reminds me on the weekly backflush
If you're referring to a weekly detergent back flush do you lubricate after each time? If not please do yourself a favor and read this article/how to on E61 maintenance and lubrication. E61 Lubrication First few years I had my Bricoletta I didn't know and detergent back flushed regularly, without properly lubricating after, and ended up replacing the lower pin not once but twice in about a 5 year span before I learned my lesson.
Mike McGinness

#4: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

The weekly backflush is water only with a monthly done with detergent. That's from the manual for the Alex Duetto 3. Thanks for the the link on doing the lubrication. Much prefer doing preventive maintenance vs breakdown/repair.

I added in a spot for the thermometer.

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee »

Weekly water back flush? Monthly detergent back flush? How often in between do you drop and clean the screen? I prefer a more regular cleaning regimen before residual coffee oils have a chance to build up and go rancid. I always water flush after every shot AND water back flush after every shot session. Doesn't matter whether it's a one shot session or a dozen it's followed by water back flush. Couple times a week I drop the screen, remove basket from pf, remove handle from pf then put the screen, basket and pf body into steaming pitcher with level pallo scoop Cafiza and cover them with hot water from water tap. I don't use the water tap for Americanos or tea etc. so this regular water draw helps keep the steam boiler flushed. After the steam boiler pressure recovers from water draw fill steam the Cafiza solution to as hot as it'll go without violently bubbling over and let the screen, basket and body soak a half hour or so. While parts soaking scrub the group dipping brush head into hot Cafiza solution. I don't brush rinse the group after scrubbing but leave the wee bit of residual Cafiza solution on it. I also clean the group gasket with cloth dipped in the solution. After the parts are soaked scrub and rinse. Put gasket and screen back in group, handle back on body and now water back flush to remove residual Cafiza solution from scrubbing group. Not enough Cafiza going through group to do much get rid much if any coffee oil build up but figure it might help between aggressive detergent back flushes and has had zero anti-lubing effect.
Mike McGinness

#6: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

After every shot I always water flush and Pallo brush but I have not been on top of some of the other maintenance you listed. Good points on being on top of removing residual oils before they get rancid. I have had the unit for about a month so it will be interesting to see what is in behind the screen.

Given the cleaning steps you have listed how often were you lubing the E-61 group?

Compass Coffee

#7: Post by Compass Coffee replying to chuckcoffee »

Only after doing full detergent back flush but not based on days weeks or months. IMO only needed every 100 shots or so if following the rest of the regime I do.
Mike McGinness

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

You could do something like my lathe tool holder. It is only 2 pieces glued together with a rabbit joint. I drilled the holder with a Forstner bit the same size as the brass trunnion on the tools so they sit in it like a glove. You could do the same for a portafilter and put them handle side down through the hole.

Dave Stephens

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee »

For something used often I like the open front easy grab design. BTW rabbit joint, I didn't know rabbits rolled joints! :lol: (Obviously I'm not a wood worker, but the term rabbit joint kicked in thoughts from a previous life)
Mike McGinness

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

Wait until you start ripping dado's and jig cutting blind dove tails, and dont forget the space balls in your raised panel doors.
Dave Stephens