Will my espresso machine autofill from a reservoir?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
FinSimon

#1: Post by FinSimon »

Hi!
I am working on a Carimali Uno that I will run with a reservoir instead of plumbed it in (rotary pump). The 3.5L reservoir is placed above the machine and my question is, will the autofill work? And how does it work?
The pump didn't have any problem drawing from the reservoir when brewing but the pump do not run when autofill is engaged? Is it not just the solenoid valve that opens? Does the water bypasses the pump without inline pressure?

Simon

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Well, if the machine does not engage the pump when the auto fill kicks in then no, it will not fill the boiler. It will actually drain the boiler since the boiler is under pressure and your static tank is not. The only machine I had that worked that way was an old Faema 2 group. It used a manual boiler fill button and sight glass for the boiler level. Yes it had to be plumbed in and have static line pressure higher than the boiler pressure for the fill to work.
Dave Stephens

FinSimon (original poster)

#3: Post by FinSimon (original poster) »

OK! Thanx for the answer. Is it possible to engage the pump when the level probe indicates autofill? Re-wiring some cables? Or can I just push the brew bottom when it wants to autofill? A check valve should prevent draining the boiler at least.

Kind regards,
Simon

#4: Post by FinSimon (original poster) »

And now I remember that there is a check valve in the water inlet box (o-ring, ball, spring)...

Can I "autofill" with a blind filter basket when the autofill solenoid valve is open? Pump is running, water wont pass the grouphead. Only way for the water to go is to the boiler as long as the solenoid stays open. Mayby not a long term sollution.
Simon

#5: Post by FinSimon (original poster) »

Hi!

I did some tests how the machine will autofill from a reservoir, and if I engage the pump (brewing) when autofill solenoid is open it will autofill easily. The check valves in the water inlet box didn't stop the pressurised water in the boiler to go back in the reservoir. Will a other check valve between the pump an the water inlet box do the jobb?

Or should I consider a water line? Possible but require some work...

Simon

bongani

#6: Post by bongani »

As far as I'm aware, rotary pumps are capable of of drawing from non-pressurised water sources - that would include your reservoir. One has to always be careful that you never run your container empty. There are plenty forum topics on this platform and elsewhere addressing your worry and how to go about making the best of your situation.

Good luck.

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

With your water reservoir above the machine, the fill hose acting like a siphon and water seeking its own level, I would imagine that there would be no problem filling the boiler.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#8: Post by FinSimon (original poster) »

Thank you for your reply. The filling of the boiler is no problem, the problem occures when the boiler reach pressure and water presses back from the boiler to the reservoir. The check valve in the water inlet box aren't good enough/leaks/bad o-ring. Therefore I am thinking of an addtional check valve between the pump and water inlet box.

Simon

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Until this problem is solved, you should disconnect the heating element because you do not need any heat to solve this.

It seems as though your control box is faulty. When you disconnect the wire from the water level probe, the boiler fill solenoid should open and the pump should start.

Some pics of your specific machine could be helpful.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#10: Post by FinSimon (original poster) »

Here is a wiring diagram