Will a different portafilter or basket give me better tasting espresso? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Wantboost (original poster)

#11: Post by Wantboost (original poster) »

klee11mtl wrote:Yes, the plastic insert I'm referring to is the one under the basket. It serves no functional purpose and adds a layer of plastic that hot coffee flows through unnecessarily. It's a layer that can affect taste, erode or change over time, and possibly also collect residue. Think about how a plastic mug would be over time after daily use for hot coffee.

If you google "youtube precision espresso baskets", you can find lots of folks who consider them important. Here's one from James Hoffmann video

I use the 14-18 which matches the stock double unpressurized basket that came with my Breville machine. If you find it too small, then you're probably looking for the 18-22
thx
I ll try the 14 to 18g hope it's enough....
Looks like that plastic insert is there to help with heat for when people r in a rush and or don't heat or flush thr portafilter.
I'm gonna try taste difference without it

Thx I can't seem to get a amazing cup . Ends sour even tho I raise temp etc . I did find stirring helped recently

Idfixe

#12: Post by Idfixe »

Espresso baskets make a different for me. I routinely move between EPHQ, E&B superfine and VST. I woudn't say one taste better over the other, they taste different, each have a different flow, require a different grind setting and dose. Just for the fun of it, changing basket is interesting!

K7

#13: Post by K7 »

How do you find EPHQ vs E&B Superfine vs VST? I have three IMS/E&B baskets (12-14g, 15g, 12-18g) and they all seem to flow pretty fast with 14-15g. Perhaps a little too fast for some light roasts. I recently ordered a E&B Superfine 14-16g, anxious to try it out.

Idfixe

#14: Post by Idfixe »

I own E&B superfine only, cannot talk about it. E&B superfine are close in flow, both slower than VST though. Can grind few notch coarser with both vs VST. But cost importantly, taste change.

Wantboost (original poster)

#15: Post by Wantboost (original poster) »

Are there fake baskets out there? Ims says made In Italy but this ships from China

IMS Precision 14-18 g filter basket compatible with 54mm Breville Sage Espresso machines Express, Bambino, Bambino Plus BES450, BES500, BES880, BES810BSS, BES860XL, BES870XL, BES878

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B092SVTY2T

spressomon

#16: Post by spressomon »

This is, generally, where I purchase my IMS Competition baskets. They ship to USA, Canada, etc., and are generally the same or less total $ than Amazon. And, today, the baskets are -28%.

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/IM ... -2002.aspx
No Espresso = Depresso