Why so few La Marzocco Linea Mini owners?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
CrabRangoon

Postby CrabRangoon » Jul 21, 2015, 12:16 am

Just checking in to see if we still only have a couple Mini owners among the posters around here. Truly expected to see at least a handful of folks posting about their at home experience with it by now (owners, not testers/demos). I realize the machine is still quite new, but I am just surprised at how few people have chimed in with one.

...split from La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience by moderator...
LMWDP #505

TheJavaCup77

Postby TheJavaCup77 » Jul 21, 2015, 12:52 am

I think someone will mod this machine soon..... Hope to see some mods on it :|
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

brianl

Postby brianl » Jul 21, 2015, 10:09 am

I think some are mostly waiting for the price to fall below msrp, like how the GS3 has. I also think most in this price range want a plumbed machine.

LukeFlynn

Postby LukeFlynn » Jul 21, 2015, 12:23 pm

I too am surprised with the lack of posters. I think a lot of people are disappointed with how much this machine lacks for the price. I honestly see LM revising it later this year with a real PID and the switchable water supply. To me this seems like a 2-3k machine, not a 4-5k machine. That said, I doubt they'll drop the price. I'm hoping they come up with a real MP group (doubtful) and perhaps a volumetric option like the PB has. If not a real MP group, adjustable/variable pre-infusion would be a huge step up.. even my 1k BDB has that. I get that they want to go all analog, but they could easily do like Rocket does with the R58 and have a detachable PID interface, or hide it under the drip tray for that clean look.

Mrboots2u

Postby Mrboots2u » replying to LukeFlynn » Jul 21, 2015, 1:19 pm

That would no longer be a linea tho.....

That would be a hybrid machine and not at the same price range as a linea...

SolarUnderwood

Postby SolarUnderwood » Jul 21, 2015, 1:40 pm

I really love what the Linea Mini has to offer, but it's going to take some time before we can decide if it's worth its premium. There's a slew of E61 machines that offer convenience features like shot timers and digital PIDs, that we've all become accustomed to. To be honest, I could do away with it all if I had a machine that makes great coffee and doesn't require me to essentially become a tech to maintain it. I think this is where the Mini has the opportunity to shine.

I've been searching forums for user experience on this machine, but there's not much out. Does anyone have an idea of how many of these things have sold?

If anyone out there has one, please give us some updates!

wsurfn

Postby wsurfn » Jul 21, 2015, 1:47 pm

I really like the design of this machine. I think the unique small integrated brew boiler/group is going to define this machine's legacy/destiny. Time will tell. Overpriced? Well, if features and quality in the cup are linear, there is no doubt in my mind it is. LM does have a market niche that is unique. I just leaped from my Duetto to a GS3, and I am over the moon right now, but I am not sure I can convince a rational skeptic ( or my spouse) the difference in cost is worth it. Some things in life just bring pleasure to the owner. I am sure if I was a new owner who made a significant leap from a less featured machine to the Linea Mini, I would be very satisfied. From my old Duetto? Maybe. I was fine with the steam on my Duettto, but I can state a bigger LM steam boiler is fantastic and I am back to no-burn convenience. As I originally wrote, I like the design the Linea Mini. Quick to temp, big steaming power, reasonable footprint, quality looks/feel. A real mechanical paddle/pre-infusion with plumbing option is nice, but I like the simple concept they are going with. Digital PID? A number is relative as long as temps are consistent, stable and adjustment is easy. The market will now speak. I feel really lucky I found my GS3 during this distraction, because the price point on the Linea Mini is a leap of faith for most folks. It is a pretty unique and cool machine from the sidelines. Owner's please keep posting if you have more to share. I find it interesting.

LukeFlynn

Postby LukeFlynn » Jul 21, 2015, 2:14 pm

Mrboots2u wrote:That would no longer be a linea tho.....

That would be a hybrid machine and not at the same price range as a linea...

Let's be honest, the machine already isn't a linea. Hardware wise, the Gs/3 is more similar to a linea then the Mini. The mini doesn't have saturated groups, the GS/3 does. Not to say that's a bad thing, it's just how it is. I am still curious how the Linea Mini stacks up to the breville dual boiler, other than steam boiler size, they are very very similar as far as hardware goes (not electronics). Of course the Linea Mini slaughterers the BDB In the steam department

CrabRangoon

Postby CrabRangoon » Jul 21, 2015, 3:39 pm

SolarUnderwood wrote:If anyone out there has one, please give us some updates!

wsurfn wrote:It is a pretty unique and cool machine from the sidelines. I find it interesting.

By any chance, did either of you guys see it in the wild when LM brought it to Austin? I only ask because we had it local to us twice in a very short time, yet I was so unorganized that I managed to miss both opportunities to check it out.
LMWDP #505

SolarUnderwood

Postby SolarUnderwood » replying to CrabRangoon » Jul 21, 2015, 4:26 pm

I had no idea they were in town!