Why I still love my La Spaz Mini Vivaldi after 9 years - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by blondica73 »

katkat wrote:Alternative title: Curb Your Upgraditis.

Over the last 9 years I have been using my Mini Vivaldi. I make about 4 cappuccinos/cortados and 1-2 espressos every day. It's been a workhorse for the most part, however, as expected, quite a few parts have been replaced, including: a few fuses and the fuse holder, pressure gauge, vacuum breaker, heating element for the brew boiler and the entire steam boiler (leaked.) Not a super short list - but - 9 years! I am pretty handy and everything is accessible so it was not a big deal to fix it. I should add that the service from Chris Coffee has been exceptional.

Also over the last 9 years, I have been reading about every possible machine and seriously considered upgrading mine. I really like nice gear and new shiny objects. So why haven't I?

Reasons to upgrade: honestly, other than the upgraditis - not many. (1) Like some other La Spaz owners - the 53mm portafilter has always bothered me. Why? I am really not sure; (2) With the recent crop of machines I have started to get curious about playing with pre-infusion, pressure and flow. Since I make more milk-based drinks than espressos and since the espresso I like is traditional Italian (sweet/dark chocolate taste) and dislike anything acidic - I am not sure how much benefit I'd really get from these features. It would still be nice to experiment.

Reasons not to upgrade (or - why I really like this machine):
(1) I like the La Spaz temperature stability and consistency.
(2) I am not interested in a plumbed machine. The Mini Vivaldi has a big reservoir (and a big drip tray.)
(3) I have the in-tank BWT filter (now available from WLL.) The reservoir is super easy to access and I just fill it with tap water & go. Easy.
(4) I like the saturated group. E61 is not for me. (I am also not a big fan of the look.)
(5) I love the steam power and the fast warmup of the steam boiler. I turn it on only when I need it. (The machine is hooked to a DIY timer and stays on for most of the day.)
(6) I absolutely love the ergonomics of the steam lever (vs knob)
(7) Great cup warmer.
(8) It simply makes great coffee!

(Things is has and I do not care much for - volumetric dosing.)
I modified mine (bought 6 years ago) to do pressure profiling, it is great. I bought an extra kit from Germany a couple of months ago and sitting at home, collecting dust. I also have a Linea Mini plumbed in. I like them both.

michael

#12: Post by michael »

Better accessory selection after years with 53mm 8)

objective1

#13: Post by objective1 »

no comment on the 'decent' alternative?

Beewee

#14: Post by Beewee »

katkat wrote:Alternative title: Curb Your Upgraditis.

Over the last 9 years I have been using my Mini Vivaldi. I make about 4 cappuccinos/cortados and 1-2 espressos every day. It's been a workhorse for the most part, however, as expected, quite a few parts have been replaced, including: a few fuses and the fuse holder, pressure gauge, vacuum breaker, heating element for the brew boiler and the entire steam boiler (leaked.) Not a super short list - but - 9 years! I am pretty handy and everything is accessible so it was not a big deal to fix it. I should add that the service from Chris Coffee has been exceptional.

Also over the last 9 years, I have been reading about every possible machine and seriously considered upgrading mine. I really like nice gear and new shiny objects. So why haven't I?

Reasons to upgrade: honestly, other than the upgraditis - not many. (1) Like some other La Spaz owners - the 53mm portafilter has always bothered me. Why? I am really not sure; (2) With the recent crop of machines I have started to get curious about playing with pre-infusion, pressure and flow. Since I make more milk-based drinks than espressos and since the espresso I like is traditional Italian (sweet/dark chocolate taste) and dislike anything acidic - I am not sure how much benefit I'd really get from these features. It would still be nice to experiment.

Reasons not to upgrade (or - why I really like this machine):
(1) I like the La Spaz temperature stability and consistency.
(2) I am not interested in a plumbed machine. The Mini Vivaldi has a big reservoir (and a big drip tray.)
(3) I have the in-tank BWT filter (now available from WLL.) The reservoir is super easy to access and I just fill it with tap water & go. Easy.
(4) I like the saturated group. E61 is not for me. (I am also not a big fan of the look.)
(5) I love the steam power and the fast warmup of the steam boiler. I turn it on only when I need it. (The machine is hooked to a DIY timer and stays on for most of the day.)
(6) I absolutely love the ergonomics of the steam lever (vs knob)
(7) Great cup warmer.
(8) It simply makes great coffee!

(Things is has and I do not care much for - volumetric dosing.)

I feel the same about my Vivaldi Mini that is now 11 years old. It's been serviced twice over the years and has a nice wood panel and IMS screen/basket upgrade but aside from that, everything is still original and going strong.

It keeps up with the Helor Stance Motor, Monolith Flat, and now is sharing counter space with its new buddy MAX.

The only thing that makes me want to upgrade is the possibility to do pressure profiling and maybe save a little counter space with the DE1PRO but I don't think I would be willing to take a downgrade in steaming power for this change.

katkat (original poster)

#15: Post by katkat (original poster) »

I would also love to experiment with the Decent for a while. In the long run - I think it'd be hard to give up the simultaneous/strong steam and the heft of the Vivaldi.

BTW - why DE1Pro and not the +?

Beewee

#16: Post by Beewee »

I like the PRO with more robust components. That being said, I'll wait until the v1.3 goes out before I look at it more seriously.

michael

#17: Post by michael »

Beewee wrote: I feel the same about my Vivaldi Mini that is now 11 years old. It's been serviced twice over the years and has a nice wood panel and IMS screen/basket upgrade but aside from that, everything is still original and going strong.

It keeps up with the Helor Stance Motor, Monolith Flat, and now is sharing counter space with its new buddy MAX.

The only thing that makes me want to upgrade is the possibility to do pressure profiling and maybe save a little counter space with the DE1PRO but I don't think I would be willing to take a downgrade in steaming power for this change.
Longer preinfusion would be great 8)