Why I've come to hate the E61 group

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Compass Coffee

#1: Post by Compass Coffee »

The E-61 is revered as a venerable relatively temp stable moderately forgiving Group with a little design built in pre-infusion. But it's old design has a major weakness: basic regular routine group cleaning requires a wrench! And I don't know of a single machine user manual that properly explains (if at all) the necessity or how to lube the cam & pin heads after every detergent back flush.

Like many I first learned the hard way a decade or so ago with my first E-61 group machine Bricoletta when the lower pin wore to the point it would no longer release pressure at all. All because of knowing dirty equipment equals bad coffee so in addition to water back flushing after every session backed flushed every week or two with detergent and not knowing to pull and lube the cam and pin heads. While it's not hard to do personally I find it a PIA and waste of time (compared to modern group designs) to always need to keep a wrench handy and pull the lever assembly out after every single detergent back flush session and lube the sucker. Which is why it seems many (most/all?) sellers encourage dirty groups by discouraging detergent back flushing often if at all!

Once again the same problem strikes again with someone's Alex Duetto...

\\End Rant :evil:
Mike McGinness

h3yn0w

#2: Post by h3yn0w »

There is no need to lube after every cleaning. That's just false.

Compass Coffee (original poster)

#3: Post by Compass Coffee (original poster) replying to h3yn0w »

Guess again. While coffee oil from shots pulled after detergent back flush will eventually lube the cam and pin heads NOT until some needless wear has occurred.
Mike McGinness

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Ignorance should not be considered a design flaw of the equipment.

Your points can be applied to virtually any consumer espresso machine. How many consumer machine manuals mention backflushing or descaling? Look how long information from Rancilio indicated that backflushing would void the warranty. Noteworthy to mention here that this information was passed along by those who made a living repairing machines.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

SonVolt

#5: Post by SonVolt »

Backflushing with detergent every 2 weeks? Yikes. Chris' Coffee told me to do it rarely... every few months maximum and only IF needed.

James Mulryan

#6: Post by James Mulryan »

What about back flushing without using detergent? Will this still cause wear issues?
Is removing the shower screen on a weekly basis and cleaning all exposed surfaces with a brush and water enough and forgoing back flushing all together?

sluflyer06

#7: Post by sluflyer06 »

SonVolt wrote:Backflushing with detergent every 2 weeks? Yikes. Chris' Coffee told me to do it rarely... every few months maximum and only IF needed.
Every couple weeks does not seem too much. The rule is the less shots pulled on a machine the more often it will need to be cleaned because crap build up from non use and high heat. When I use detergent every 2 or 3 weeks a ton of coffee oils come out.

I pull about 35 shots a week if I don't have guests over.

Compass is spot on that this is a major issue with e61, enough where I'm considering moving on from e61 and thats a contributing factor.

Kipp

#8: Post by Kipp »

I never understood why the prosumer market pushes the E61 as the Holy Grail.

When was the last time, if ever, you saw an E61 being used in a cafe?

sluflyer06

#9: Post by sluflyer06 replying to Kipp »

Amethyst in Denver has a 2 group E61 paired with an EK43.

Additionally, there aren't many other choices...aside from what? Just La Spaziale, until you get to La Marzocco GS3 and LM.

canuckcoffeeguy

#10: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Kipp wrote:I never understood why the prosumer market pushes the E61 as the Holy Grail.

When was the last time, if ever, you saw an E61 being used in a cafe?
KvW seems to like the E61:
http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/mirage.html