Who wants to Bianca-fy their E61 grouphead? - Interest Survey - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Tonefish (original poster)

#11: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

speedplay wrote:Yes, it's about 0.75" from the cap seal to the top of the gicleur.
I think the cap thread is M16 x 1.5 but have no way to verify. Haven't removed the gicleur so can't verify if the hole is tapered.
The E61 grouphead I have for sale is identical to the one in my Alex Duetto IV.
It is a standard E61 grouphead.
Thanks Aldo!
Randy G. wrote:So, like that which the Lelit Bianca features?
Or the original E61. :wink:
randyh wrote:Jim, thanks for sharing this project with the HB community! I'd be interested in purchasing a tried and true fully functioning system. I'm not much of an engineering type, and as a busy doctor with three young kids at home, I have very little time to tinker. That said, I'd love to expand what my Pro 500 can do if it's a simple install where not much can go wrong. Keep us posted Jim!
I hear yah! My kids are grown but I remember and cherished those days, busy though they were.
And as far as the retrofit, you see from my motivation and intentions that this is a pretty grassroots effort, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Profitec 500 ends up in the mix and we'll keep you in mind.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

EddyQ

#12: Post by EddyQ »

Jim, I'm fascinated with your journey digging deep into the E61 operation and project to improve it. But, unfortunately I do not presently own a E61. But you can be certain that I will be following! Maybe in the future I will be contacting you!!
LMWDP #671

fdehlvi

#13: Post by fdehlvi »

Hi Jim,

I'd love to try this, I have an ECM Barista and am happy to help with measurements etc. as needed.
Looking forward to see how it comes together.

Cheers

Spitz.me

#14: Post by Spitz.me »

I'd be very interested in modifying my Vibiemme DD.
LMWDP #670

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

A big feature of using the Bianca is the group mounted manometer (in the spot where many people have installed temperature sensors). Working the flow late in the shot can be done by eyeballing the flow; but the preinfusion is going to be hard without a manometer. Remember, when you remove the mushroom valve; you remove the E61b preinfusion. You either have to use the paddle or the pump on/off programming to simulate it. Finally, the type of flow control makes for shots around 45 to 90 seconds, so vibe pumps may have a hard time.

It's a cool idea, and I hope you come up with a great kit; but bianca-fying any old E61 may take more than just a needle valve retrofit.
Jim Schulman

Tonefish (original poster)

#16: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

EddyQ wrote:Jim, I'm fascinated with your journey digging deep into the E61 operation and project to improve it. But, unfortunately I do not presently own a E61. But you can be certain that I will be following! Maybe in the future I will be contacting you!!
The E61 is an amazing thing. The original had a needle valve up there but the patent said it was for cleaning. I got my first E61 just because I wanted to know what all the talk was about. Maybe someday for you too!
fdehlvi wrote:Hi Jim,

I'd love to try this, I have an ECM Barista and am happy to help with measurements etc. as needed.
Looking forward to see how it comes together.

Cheers
Sounds good! Thanks for posting! Cheers!
Spitz.me wrote:I'd be very interested in modifying my Vibiemme DD.
Good deal!
another_jim wrote:A big feature of using the Bianca is the group mounted manometer (in the spot where many people have installed temperature sensors). Working the flow late in the shot can be done by eyeballing the flow; but the preinfusion is going to be hard without a manometer. Remember, when you remove the mushroom valve; you remove the E61b preinfusion. You either have to use the paddle or the pump on/off programming to simulate it. Finally, the type of flow control makes for shots around 45 to 90 seconds, so vibe pumps may have a hard time.

It's a cool idea, and I hope you come up with a great kit; but bianca-fying any old E61 may take more than just a needle valve retrofit.
Great points Jim! I really appreciate all that you've contributed here in H-B land. Thank you again!

Regarding the manometer, I do have the erics enhancement kit and [anonymized] (from here too) made a nice option shown in this video.

As far as the preinfusion goes, I'm pretty happy with the options that don't involve the paddle; boiler pressure with the E61 just past mid-position, or bumping the pump at X intervals for Y duration (I also repeated some of the experiments you and Ken did long ago). One of my primary goals is to resolve how I'm going to do a lever type shot when I can't physically work the lever anymore, and I'd really prefer a mechanical method versus electronics. I guess I'm an anal planner because that is likely waaay down the road, but I want to be ready ... plus this is fun! So I don't know that I'd use the paddle much for preinfusion, but your vibe pump duty cycle point is something others should keep in mind.

I've been focusing a lot at the extraction phase following peak pressure which is where I've found the most difficulty in replicating the lever pull with a pump machine. I've been doing a lot of pressure-flow correlation with my levers and I tend to focus more on flow than pressure in the last half of the pull. By then I am off the pressure gauge and using the real-time flow measurements (Acaia Lunar). Even if I had the Bianca I would be using it in this way ... looking at flow rather than pressure for the last half or so of the pull.

I also agree that there is a lot more to the Bianca than just the group valve, which is why I had changed my title from "... E61 machine" to "... E61 group head" which still isn't quite complete as I understand (or think I read somewhere) they did something with the exhaust too.

Anyhow, looking forward to your Bianca studies too. Thanks for injecting and Cheers!!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

stevier
Supporter

#17: Post by stevier »

I'd be interested as well. Alex Izzo Duetto v1, here.

liquidmetal

#18: Post by liquidmetal »

Lucca m58 popping in. yes pls

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Bill33525 »

My Quick Mill Evo 2 would like this upgrade.

baratzaboi

#20: Post by baratzaboi »

My Mara 1st Line special (PL62S-T) is coming in tomorrow! So yes, consider me signed up for any early testing/prototyping. I'm new to the espresso game, but my background is in bicycle building so tinkering is definitely in my nature.